Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to widen hole through wall header

I need to widen a hole I made through 3 2x4's with 2 spade bits. I
made a hole with a 1" bit, then used a 3/4" bit next to it, so that it
overlapped just a bit. Unfortunately I started the second hole at an
angle, and by the time I got down into the last 2x4 the center was
almost into the original 1" hole, and the bit slipped over and
through. Now I have a V shaped hole that tapers too much to be of
use, and I don't know how to widen the hole so that the sides are
parallel.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 8:16 pm, wrote:
I need to widen a hole I made through 3 2x4's with 2 spade bits. I
made a hole with a 1" bit, then used a 3/4" bit next to it, so that it
overlapped just a bit. Unfortunately I started the second hole at an
angle, and by the time I got down into the last 2x4 the center was
almost into the original 1" hole, and the bit slipped over and
through. Now I have a V shaped hole that tapers too much to be of
use, and I don't know how to widen the hole so that the sides are
parallel.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

What is the hole for? Why a 1" & then a 3/4"?

Hole saw or fortner bit.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 11:59*pm, BobK207 wrote:
On Feb 21, 8:16 pm, wrote:

I need to widen a hole I made through 3 2x4's with 2 spade bits. *I
made a hole with a 1" bit, then used a 3/4" bit next to it, so that it
overlapped just a bit. *Unfortunately I started the second hole at an
angle, and by the time I got down into the last 2x4 the center was
almost into the original 1" hole, and the bit slipped over and
through. *Now I have a V shaped hole that tapers too much to be of
use, and I don't know how to widen the hole so that the sides are
parallel.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

What is the hole for? *Why a 1" & then a 3/4"?

Hole saw *or *fortner bit.

cheers
Bob

It's to run a DVI cable through the wall (wide and skinny). I
switched from the 1" because it was larger than I needed, and more
importantly, it was incredibly dull. Took about 3 minutes to make the
hole with the 1", 20 seconds w/ the 3/4". I'm not sure how a hole saw
would help, unless I just made a huge hole around the two smaller
holes. I'll look into a forstner bit i spose.

I don't have a sawzall, and as much as I love reasons to get new
tools, I don't think I can justify it for a couple inches of wood. My
jigsaw just is too bulky to fit down in this space and the blade isn't
long enough to cover the 4.5".

I guess I was hoping for some sort of electric file or something.

Thanks for the help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 11:16 pm, wrote:
I need to widen a hole I made through 3 2x4's with 2 spade bits. I
made a hole with a 1" bit, then used a 3/4" bit next to it, so that it
overlapped just a bit. Unfortunately I started the second hole at an
angle, and by the time I got down into the last 2x4 the center was
almost into the original 1" hole, and the bit slipped over and
through. Now I have a V shaped hole that tapers too much to be of
use, and I don't know how to widen the hole so that the sides are
parallel.

Anyone have any advice?

Everyone has advice. A hole saw drilling through a tacked on
piece of plywood (acts as a guide to get the hole saw started in the
right place) would do the trick nicely. Reposition and reuse the
plywood guide if you need two holes side by side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 11:16*pm, wrote:
I need to widen a hole I made through 3 2x4's with 2 spade bits. *I
made a hole with a 1" bit, then used a 3/4" bit next to it, so that it
overlapped just a bit. *Unfortunately I started the second hole at an
angle, and by the time I got down into the last 2x4 the center was
almost into the original 1" hole, and the bit slipped over and
through. *Now I have a V shaped hole that tapers too much to be of
use, and I don't know how to widen the hole so that the sides are
parallel.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Get the biggest "drill saw bit" you can find: Move the drill in and
out like a saw, only slower.

http://www.hobbytool.com/browseprodu...Drill-Saw.HTML

Or use a round rasp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 8:16 pm, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the help.- Hide quoted text -

OP-

The hole saw will work...either with Rico's more elegant solution (the
drill guide} or mine ...which is to use a decent drill motor
(Milwaukee right angle or Hole Hawg or equals).

Use a 1" hole saw to dig into the failed 3/4" hole. The key is (was)
to cut overlapping holes......partial holes, don't drill through any
of them until they;re all close to done)

With a decent drill motor & some muscle you can get hole saw cuts to
overlap ......you need to leave meat for the pilot drill to engage at
first but once the hole saw is cutting it becomes self guiding. Now
that you have no "hole center wood" you might need the plywood
guide.

I'd use 1" MDF (if you've got some) & drill the over lapping holes
you want to wind up with...screw that guide in place & go for it.

If you don't want to use the guide just use the 1" hole saw as an end
cutting milling cutter & chew out the hole.

BTW it is very difficlt (close to impossible) to get spade bits to cut
over lapping holes. Aletnativley (too late now, but next time) cut
two non-overlapping holes witht the paddle bits about 1/2" apart & cut
between the holes with any hand saw blade that will fit.

cheers
Bob

cheers
Bob