Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Pieter Pieter is offline

Default why 60-40 solder?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:18:15 -0600, jakdedert
wrote:
Well there is lead solder in my house and I drink the water. No lead
poisoning yet..

How can you tell? FWIW, I think the ban on lead in plumbing makes a lot
of sense. Still, I'd think that there is very little--if any--lead in
actual contact with the water in a properly sweated joint.

It certainlty makes more sense than banning it in electronics. All
electronics gets recycled nowadays. And we don't eat it.

When all lead in electronics is banned, we will have saved 0.14% of
the world lead usage.

I live in europe. You will follow with leadfree electronics sooner or
later. And then you will follow this too:

Since Januar 1st 2008 In Germany it is forbidden to drive older cars
in certain cities. Diesels must be from 2001+, gasoline must also be
reasonably new. In the Netherlands, Amsterdam is going to follow this
too. And I am sure other countries will follow. And the area will
expand from city-centres to whole cuties, then whole countries.
Meaning that we all will have to drive very new cars.

The reason behind this is that newer cars follow the newest
environment requirements.

About the plumbing: it is adviced over here that when you live in a
house with old plumbing (whats in a name), it is best to let (in the
morning) the water run for 10 seconds or more first so the piping
contains new water. Very small amounts of lead may leak into the
water, giving high levels of lead. Especially for children this is not
good.

Pieter