Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator is offline

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 04:15:10 -0800 (PST), wrote:
thats why flushing sometimes causes brown or cruddy wate

Hi Hallerb,

Ah. Yes. When the water was turned back on, there was a lot of sputtering
and shuddering going on, mostly sputtering. I thought it had to do with the
new burner.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2276890136/

But, this shaking & flushing of the pipes must have shaken loose sandy
grainy "crud" as every galvanized pipe I replaced was almost clogged
completely with what you called "scale".
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2273250265/

The water *was* brownish for a long while (you can see that in this photo
even after cleaning out the showerheads, so the crud was *still* coming
through the lines even ten minutes after initially turning the water back
on!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2279233720/

I guess all that brownish was sandy grainy stuff that caught in the filters
of *all* my faucets, showerheads, and dishwashers!

Nobody warned me about that so I'm *adding* it to the how to that I wrote
up!