Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Steven Swift Steven Swift is offline

Default why 60-40 solder?

jakdedert writes:

How can you tell? FWIW, I think the ban on lead in plumbing makes a lot
of sense. Still, I'd think that there is very little--if any--lead in
actual contact with the water in a properly sweated joint.

jak

Mike

before chlorination or fluoridation, lead from pipe was insignifant as
the lead doesn't dissolve in pH neutral water. Probably get more from the
brass in the hot water fittings and faucets.

However, if the pH is acidic, you have a serious problem. I just had to put
in a $250k pH control system in a tiny (80 customers) water system I run
to raise the pH to slightly alkaline (about 8).

Steve.
--
Steven D. Swift, , http://www.novatech-instr.com
NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC. P.O. Box 55997