Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Brass all thread

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2008-02-19, SteveB wrote:

[ ... ]

Now you got me going. I live in Utah. This is for a pool in Las Vegas.
If
I was there, I'd braze the four rods into two two foot long rods. Now, I
may have to buy some here, braze them together and take them there.
During
disassembly for five years now, I have only had a problem with the
couplers,
not the nuts. They spin right on and off easily. Must be some special
kind
of brass.

Perhaps a bronze, called "naval brass". That tends to be an
alloy which can handle chlorine corrosion, sicne the sea has lots of
NaCl. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I'll go out on a limb here. My SWAG is that because it is inside a pool
filter, that it was made with chlorine corrosion in mind. Ergo, a marine
brass, or some particular type of metal that still looks good today after
probably twenty years of use.

Even if I have to reweld the ends on every few years, that's better. The
problem is that when you lift the whole assembly out, it is caked with DE,
and if one of those cuts loose, about fifty plastic parts go flying, some
with self destructive results. After sitting in there a year unmoved, it is
a little tempermental. Had to replace three panels on the first cleanup.
Luckily they still make the parts, but it would have been a lot simpler if
it had just held, and there was no damaged parts.

Just a guess.