Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Brass all thread

SteveB writes:

It's for a pool filter ...

Don't use brass in a swimming pool.

You want 316 stainless, hidden at your local chandler.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Richard,

Don't use brass in a swimming pool.

Why not?

I don't have a swimming pool but would like to log it for future
reference.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Hi Richard,

Don't use brass in a swimming pool.

Why not?

I don't have a swimming pool but would like to log it for future
reference.

Dave

Corrosion. Better not to have it come apart in the wee hours.

Even more miserable if you are paying an hourly rate to the guy that
hast to get it apert, a few years down the road.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote:

I am having trouble finding this. I need 1/4 - 20 in two 24" lengths. I
may have to bite the bullet and get it online if I can't find it locally.
Any ideas to what sort of business may have this? It's for a pool filter,
and when I ask, a glazed look comes over their eyes.

My local Lowe's carries stainless. [which is what i would use on a
pool- I think the chlorine eats brass] I found out when
I grabbed a couple pieces of threaded rod and nearly had a
heart-attack when the girl rang it up.

The brass is only $7 at mcmaster.com - If you're stuck on brass they
might be your best bet. [I usually find it quicker to order from them
than wait until I remember to pick up something while I'm out.]

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave, I can't do that writes:

Don't use brass in a swimming pool.

Why not?

Pool water will slowly dissolve brass, so it won't last mechanically.
Whatever chemistry you use to sanitize your pool makes this inevitable.

Dissolved metals in pool water redeposit on the pool surfaces and stain
them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave, I can't do that writes:

Don't use brass in a swimming pool.

Why not?

You might also consider why metal pool fixtures are always stainless, not
brass or zinc like freshwater boat hardware.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 18, 6:30*pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Dave, I can't do that writes:

Don't use brass in a swimming pool.

Why not?

You might also consider why metal pool fixtures are always stainless, not
brass or zinc like freshwater boat hardware.

Even tap water damages brass, by slowly leaching out the zinc. You
don't see it because the copper holds its original shape. That's why
old faucet washer screws break so easily.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Dave, I can't do that writes:

Don't use brass in a swimming pool.

Why not?

You might also consider why metal pool fixtures are always stainless, not
brass or zinc like freshwater boat hardware.

You mean cheap bass boat hardware?

Everything on my boat is stainless.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Someone I must have plonked wrote:

Don't use brass in a swimming pool.

Why not?

I don't have a swimming pool but would like to log it for future
reference.

Dave

The all thread holds the plastic DE filter assembly together. I have used
shorter sections of brass with aluminum and steel joiners, but they corrode
into unrecognizable blobs in one season. The brass is unchanged. Why not
use brass? I'm not making a brass float or anything that big.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't have a swimming pool but would like to log it for future
reference.

Dave

Corrosion. Better not to have it come apart in the wee hours.

Even more miserable if you are paying an hourly rate to the guy that hast
to get it apert, a few years down the road.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

apparently chlorine eats stainless too. i had to replace a stainless rod
(maybe 1/2" by 10") in my pool filter. it had holes through it like swiss
cheese. was amazing to look at. (i figured the holey parts were where
there had been some contamination in the process of making the stainless.)
(but i'm sure stainless lasts longer than brass.)

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bronze ? - Si-Bronze ?

Plastic ?
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

SteveB wrote:
I am having trouble finding this. I need 1/4 - 20 in two 24" lengths. I
may have to bite the bullet and get it online if I can't find it locally.
Any ideas to what sort of business may have this? It's for a pool filter,
and when I ask, a glazed look comes over their eyes.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Chlorine dissolves the Zinc and then the left over copper is spongy.
Spongy copper falls apart.

Think sinks that were brass - the brass stems that held the washer often
fractured and cracked and was replaced. The seats were replaceable.

Nowadays the new fangled sinks don't have washers. Such an easy life.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Hi Richard,

Don't use brass in a swimming pool.

Why not?

I don't have a swimming pool but would like to log it for future
reference.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have some bronze portholes that were in tropical water for 50 years.
There is very nominal spotting of green in places. More coral than green.
They are Naval Bronze. A Very special alloy.
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

cavalamb himself wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote:
Dave, I can't do that writes:

Don't use brass in a swimming pool.

Why not?

You might also consider why metal pool fixtures are always stainless,
not brass or zinc like freshwater boat hardware.

You mean cheap bass boat hardware?

Everything on my boat is stainless.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you use stainless, make very sure you use anti seize.
Stainless can be vicious about galling.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"SteveB" wrote in message

I don't have a swimming pool but would like to log it for
future
reference.

Dave

Corrosion. Better not to have it come apart in the wee hours.

Even more miserable if you are paying an hourly rate to the
guy that hast to get it apert, a few years down the road.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

apparently chlorine eats stainless too. i had to replace a
stainless rod (maybe 1/2" by 10") in my pool filter. it had
holes through it like swiss cheese. was amazing to look at.
(i figured the holey parts were where there had been some
contamination in the process of making the stainless.) (but i'm
sure stainless lasts longer than brass.)

b.w.

Now you got me going. I live in Utah. This is for a pool in
Las Vegas. If I was there, I'd braze the four rods into two two
foot long rods. Now, I may have to buy some here, braze them
together and take them there. During disassembly for five years
now, I have only had a problem with the couplers, not the nuts.
They spin right on and off easily. Must be some special kind of
brass. Will let you know how this R&R goes in a few weeks when
I do the yearly DE filter disassembly, clean and recharge.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't have a swimming pool but would like to log it for future
reference.

Dave

Corrosion. Better not to have it come apart in the wee hours.

Even more miserable if you are paying an hourly rate to the guy that

hast
to get it apert, a few years down the road.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

apparently chlorine eats stainless too. i had to replace a stainless rod
(maybe 1/2" by 10") in my pool filter. it had holes through it like swiss
cheese. was amazing to look at. (i figured the holey parts were where
there had been some contamination in the process of making the stainless.)
(but i'm sure stainless lasts longer than brass.)

b.w.

Don't forget that "stainless" refers to a family of alloys, the
characteristics of which vary rather widely. You need to choose the proper
one for your application. Whether what you need is available as a threaded
rod is, however, another matter...

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DanG" wrote in message
If you use stainless, make very sure you use anti seize. Stainless can be
vicious about galling.

One of the reasons I want to stay with brass. Even with the couplers
corroding, just some brushing cleans out the threads. Would be nice to find
two of the right length, or go get two and braze together. Will go to the
welding store tomorrow. Might even be able to cut some short pieces of 4"
or so and then braze them on the ends of plain brass rod to have just enough
threads for the nuts and washers to hold it all together.

There's a hundred ways to cook a poodle.

But it all tastes like chicken.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 19, 12:31*am, "Jerry Foster"
wrote:
Whether what you need is available as a threaded
rod is, however, another matter...
Jerry

I bought a few pieces of the largest size available of gas/TIG welding
rod in steel, aluminum, brass and stainless, for a whole lot less than
it costs in a hardware store. If you know the length, buy some 316 rod
and thread the ends. It should last until crushed by the next ice
age.
1/8" = #5, 9/64 = #6, 5/32 ~= #8, 3/16 = #10.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

One of the reasons I want to stay with brass. Even with the couplers
corroding, just some brushing cleans out the threads. Would be nice to find
two of the right length, or go get two and braze together. Will go to the
welding store tomorrow. Might even be able to cut some short pieces of 4"
or so and then braze them on the ends of plain brass rod to have just enough
threads for the nuts and washers to hold it all together.

Try Bronze (even harder to find); it has passes the 2000 year immersion
in salt water test

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

www.mcmaster.com has 36" 316SS for $8.59 in 1/4-20, also brass ($10.14),
silicon bronze ($49.74), titanium ($74.16), and monel ($81.25) :-).
They have 24" pieces, too, but in fewer materials. A good place to
check chemical compatibilities is:
http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/chemcomp.asp Looks like bronze and
316SS beat brass for sodium hypochlorite (but your pool better not be
anywhere near 20%-)) and salt water.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net

"SteveB" wrote in message
I am having trouble finding this. I need 1/4 - 20 in two 24" lengths.
I may have to bite the bullet and get it online if I can't find it
locally. Any ideas to what sort of business may have this? It's for a
pool filter, and when I ask, a glazed look comes over their eyes.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-02-19, SteveB wrote:

[ ... ]

Now you got me going. I live in Utah. This is for a pool in Las Vegas. If
I was there, I'd braze the four rods into two two foot long rods. Now, I
may have to buy some here, braze them together and take them there. During
disassembly for five years now, I have only had a problem with the couplers,
not the nuts. They spin right on and off easily. Must be some special kind
of brass.

Perhaps a bronze, called "naval brass". That tends to be an
alloy which can handle chlorine corrosion, sicne the sea has lots of
NaCl. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols writes:

That tends to be an
alloy which can handle chlorine corrosion, sicne the sea has lots of
NaCl. :-)

Chlorine as chloride (what's in seawater) is not chlorine as hypochlorous
acid (what's in a swimming pool).

Chlorinated swimming pool water will (slowly) dissolve even gold.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-02-19, SteveB wrote:

[ ... ]

Now you got me going. I live in Utah. This is for a pool in Las Vegas.
If
I was there, I'd braze the four rods into two two foot long rods. Now, I
may have to buy some here, braze them together and take them there.
During
disassembly for five years now, I have only had a problem with the
couplers,
not the nuts. They spin right on and off easily. Must be some special
kind
of brass.

Perhaps a bronze, called "naval brass". That tends to be an
alloy which can handle chlorine corrosion, sicne the sea has lots of
NaCl. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I'll go out on a limb here. My SWAG is that because it is inside a pool
filter, that it was made with chlorine corrosion in mind. Ergo, a marine
brass, or some particular type of metal that still looks good today after
probably twenty years of use.

Even if I have to reweld the ends on every few years, that's better. The
problem is that when you lift the whole assembly out, it is caked with DE,
and if one of those cuts loose, about fifty plastic parts go flying, some
with self destructive results. After sitting in there a year unmoved, it is
a little tempermental. Had to replace three panels on the first cleanup.
Luckily they still make the parts, but it would have been a lot simpler if
it had just held, and there was no damaged parts.

Just a guess.