Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Lextron AA Batteries - Any Good?

On Feb 20, 12:50*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

My BJ's carries a 48 pack of Lextron AA for $9.99 vs. a 36 pack of
Energizers for $13.46.

I looked at Consumer Reports and they tested 14 brands of Alkaline
batteries. They included name brands (Panasonic, Rayovac, Energizer,
etc.) and store brands (CVS, Rite Aid, Kirkland, etc.) *Unfortunately,
the Lextron's are not on the list.

CR gave 13 out 14 of them "very good" ratings for use in toys, cd
players etc. One got a "good." All 14 got a "fair" rating for use in
digital cameras.

However, they state that they are listed in order of performance, so
there must be some differences, although they don't define them. They
also don't separate performance in camera from performance in a cd
player - it's the same list - so I'm a little leery to use the
performance ranking to make any decisions. The video says they top
rated the Kirkland's based on the price - 21¢ *per battery.

So, can I assume that all AA batteries are so close to each other in
performance that I should shop on price alone? That would make the
Lextron's (21¢) as good a deal as the Kirklands.

I saw a study on alkaline batteries. *Probably by the same newsgroup that
had the exploding pickup gas tanks.

Their final word was that alkalines are the same, and in a lot of cases, the
offbrand Chinese lasted longer than the others. *When you do as much
advertising as some of these battery companies do, the money has to come
from somewhere. *Once you strip that off, the real cost of those Coppertop
and spendy batteries is down in the 20 cent range, too. *You have to sell a
lot of batteries to show THAT many commercials THAT many times. *They're the
only thing that's on more than those erectile dysfunction medicines.

Steve

Good grief! If that's true, I shutter at how much money we've all
wasted over the years by buying name brand batteries at 4 to 5 times
the cost of the Lextrons, Kirklands, etc.