Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lextron AA Batteries - Any Good?

My BJ's carries a 48 pack of Lextron AA for $9.99 vs. a 36 pack of
Energizers for $13.46.

I looked at Consumer Reports and they tested 14 brands of Alkaline
batteries. They included name brands (Panasonic, Rayovac, Energizer,
etc.) and store brands (CVS, Rite Aid, Kirkland, etc.) Unfortunately,
the Lextron's are not on the list.

CR gave 13 out 14 of them "very good" ratings for use in toys, cd
players etc. One got a "good." All 14 got a "fair" rating for use in
digital cameras.

However, they state that they are listed in order of performance, so
there must be some differences, although they don't define them. They
also don't separate performance in camera from performance in a cd
player - it's the same list - so I'm a little leery to use the
performance ranking to make any decisions. The video says they top
rated the Kirkland's based on the price - 21¢ per battery.

So, can I assume that all AA batteries are so close to each other in
performance that I should shop on price alone? That would make the
Lextron's (21¢) as good a deal as the Kirklands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When you're in BJ's, buy the rechargeable batteries (the ones that come with
the charger). You'll get more for your buck. You just have to remember to
tell the kids not to throw them away...

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message
When you're in BJ's, buy the rechargeable batteries (the ones that come
with the charger). You'll get more for your buck. You just have to
remember to tell the kids not to throw them away...

I went the recharge route for a time. I kept finding failures in the
recharable cells.

Now I just buy "24 packs" of AAs or AAAs for around $5. No fuss. No
muss. When the flashlight dims or the radio stops working, I toss the old
cells and just grab a few more from the box.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
My BJ's carries a 48 pack of Lextron AA for $9.99 vs. a 36 pack of
Energizers for $13.46.

So, can I assume that all AA batteries are so close to each other in
performance that I should shop on price alone? That would make the
Lextron's (21¢) as good a deal as the Kirklands.

They cost 10 bucks. How big a deal is it to find out if they don't last
quite as long?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
My BJ's carries a 48 pack of Lextron AA for $9.99 vs. a 36 pack of
Energizers for $13.46.

So, can I assume that all AA batteries are so close to each other in
performance that I should shop on price alone? That would make the
Lextron's (21¢) as good a deal as the Kirklands.

They cost 10 bucks. How big a deal is it to find out if they don't last
quite as long?

I bought some Harbor Freight AAA alkalines,and they leaked before I got to
use half of them. I won't buy Duracells either.

I usually buy Fuji Novel cells,they are low cost at my local Big Lots.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 10:27*am, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote innews:ihXuj.7291$zo3.1341@trndny04:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
My BJ's carries a 48 pack of Lextron AA for $9.99 vs. a 36 pack of
Energizers for $13.46.

So, can I assume that all AA batteries are so close to each other in
performance that I should shop on price alone? That would make the
Lextron's (21¢) as good a deal as the Kirklands.

They cost 10 bucks. *How big a deal is it to find out if they don't last
quite as long?

I bought some Harbor Freight AAA alkalines,and they leaked before I got to
use half of them. I won't buy Duracells either.

I usually buy Fuji Novel cells,they are low cost at my local Big Lots.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

What's your complaint with Duracells? (just curious)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 12:50*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

I saw a study on alkaline batteries. *Probably by the same newsgroup that
had the exploding pickup gas tanks.

Their final word was that alkalines are the same, and in a lot of cases, the
offbrand Chinese lasted longer than the others. *When you do as much
advertising as some of these battery companies do, the money has to come
from somewhere. *Once you strip that off, the real cost of those Coppertop
and spendy batteries is down in the 20 cent range, too. *You have to sell a
lot of batteries to show THAT many commercials THAT many times. *They're the
only thing that's on more than those erectile dysfunction medicines.

Steve

Good grief! If that's true, I shutter at how much money we've all
wasted over the years by buying name brand batteries at 4 to 5 times
the cost of the Lextrons, Kirklands, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 20, 10:27*am, Jim Yanik wrote:
I bought some Harbor Freight AAA alkalines,and they leaked before I got to
use half of them. I won't buy Duracells either.

What's your complaint with Duracells? (just curious)

PMFJI, but every few years I buy a couple of Duracells just to remind me
why I don't buy Duracells. I get considerably better battery life out of
the cheapest garbage batteries I can find. Most of the time, when they're
included with a product I buy, I shelve or toss them and use Eveready or
Ray-O-Vac.

--
Leftist Google censors the right
Obama's childhood mentor, Frank Marshall Davis, was a communist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It's true. I know it's true. I saw it on television.

Really, one of the top news programs did a segment. Tested a lot of
batteries, and came to the conclusion they're all about the same. "About"
meaning that those that cost X times what the cheapest cost were not X times
better or lasted X times longer. The good grade batteries lasted only
somewhat longer, but cost factored in, not worth the extra money.

I buy them at the 99 cent store, but I do use rechargeable AA for my camera
and GPS. Both of those EAT batteries, and it's way cheaper for the nimh
rechargeables once you've paid for the hit of the batteries and a good $30
smart charger with the refresh feature.

I imagine soon we'll be seeing nimh batteries at the 99 cent store, too. I
keep watching and hoping. After all, I buy those $14 cell phone holders for
99 cents, and when they have them I buy six.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"clifto" wrote in message
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 20, 10:27 am, Jim Yanik wrote:
I bought some Harbor Freight AAA alkalines,and they leaked before I got
use half of them. I won't buy Duracells either.

What's your complaint with Duracells? (just curious)

PMFJI, but every few years I buy a couple of Duracells just to remind me
why I don't buy Duracells. I get considerably better battery life out of
the cheapest garbage batteries I can find. Most of the time, when they're
included with a product I buy, I shelve or toss them and use Eveready or
Ray-O-Vac.

Ditto here. Spending $5 on 4 batteries is just plain against my religion.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I had some leaky Infinity Beyond, from Ebay. the AAA cells leaked, and
the AA cells are fine. I didn't know Harbor Fright cells leaked. Mine
have been fine.

HF "Thunderbolt" alkalines;half of the 12 pack of AAA cells leaked while
still in the package,unused.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

clifto wrote in
:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 20, 10:27*am, Jim Yanik wrote:
I bought some Harbor Freight AAA alkalines,and they leaked before I
got to use half of them. I won't buy Duracells either.

What's your complaint with Duracells? (just curious)

PMFJI, but every few years I buy a couple of Duracells just to remind
me why I don't buy Duracells. I get considerably better battery life
out of the cheapest garbage batteries I can find. Most of the time,
when they're included with a product I buy, I shelve or toss them and
use Eveready or Ray-O-Vac.

In my experience,the Duracells leak much sooner than other brands.
I use Fuji Novel or Eveready.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in
:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
.
[...]

I doubt CR's tests included leaking over time.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:10:17 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Which brands gave you trouble? I got osme rechargable from Ebay, and they
were about 1/4 to 1/3 of them were inadequate.

For rechargeables, stick with brand names.
Sanyo AA Eneloop 8 for $12.99.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sanyo-Eneloop-NIMH-Rechargeable-AA-Batteries-8-Pack-GESHR3UTG8BP/sem/rpsm/oid/159047/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Which brands gave you trouble? I got osme rechargable from Ebay, and they
were about 1/4 to 1/3 of them were inadequate.

For rechargeables, stick with brand names.
Sanyo AA Eneloop 8 for $12.99.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sanyo-Eneloop-NIMH-Rechargeable-AA-Batteries-8-Pack-GESHR3UTG8BP/sem/rpsm/oid/159047/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I have heard a lot of good about the Eneloops, but have not yet seen them
for sale locally. That is pretty reasonable per battery. Guess I'll look a
bit more, then just buy online.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
JP JP is offline

Remember to keep your extra batteries in the frig,they will keep a lot
longer