Posted to alt.home.repair
JC[_2_] JC[_2_] is offline

Default Electrical Switch Question

"Eric Scantlebury" wrote in message

"JC" wrote in message

Use larger wire nuts

Right. The red ones from HD easily put 4 together. Yellow is rated for
3. In any case you can make "multiple" connections in the box and just
wire those together. As long as you stay within the NEC % rules for
"crowding" in the box.

I'm using the red ones and they're are anything from easy. Unless you
twist the wires first.

Hummm, I'm using the red ones with 4 12-2 and have no problems unless I
get to the grounds (one extra for the box) - I had to twist the 5. IF I
ever needed more than 5 under one cap I'd either split them out or use a
bigger nut. On several of the "older" boxes I've worked on in my house
they had a nut that was a two part nut. One metal coupler retains the
wire by way of a set screw type setup and then a cap screws onto that.

I've just switched to deeper boxes and more pigtails. It's the bare wire
grounds that I'm having the trouble with but I've solved the problem.

Thanks,
--
The doctors have narrowed my condition
down to two ailments. They say I either