Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Scantlebury[_2_] Eric Scantlebury[_2_] is offline

Default Electrical Switch Question

"JC" wrote in message

Use larger wire nuts

Right. The red ones from HD easily put 4 together. Yellow is rated for
3. In any case you can make "multiple" connections in the box and just
wire those together. As long as you stay within the NEC % rules for
"crowding" in the box.

I'm using the red ones and they're are anything from easy. Unless you
twist the wires first.

Hummm, I'm using the red ones with 4 12-2 and have no problems unless I get
to the grounds (one extra for the box) - I had to twist the 5. IF I ever
needed more than 5 under one cap I'd either split them out or use a bigger
nut. On several of the "older" boxes I've worked on in my house they had a
nut that was a two part nut. One metal coupler retains the wire by way of a
set screw type setup and then a cap screws onto that.