Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Default why 60-40 solder?

In article ,
Sjouke Burry wrote:
I've seen an ad from the '20s, from the Lead Institute (or something like
that), proclaiming how wonderful it was that the Roman Empire distributed
water through lead pipes!

Location:Netherlandds.
Until last year I had a lead pipe between the
street main feed and my water meter(copper pipe inside).
When the pipe was replaced, there was 1.5 mm deposit inside
the old pipe, and no possible access to the lead pipe.
But of course we do not chlorinate our water supply, and
the water is always moderately hard(and very tasty).
So we can safely drink it without gagging, and without
lead and chlorine poisoning.

I replaced some lead pipe in my parent's house some time ago - it is in a
very soft water area. Out of curiosity I sectioned it and looked at it
carefully. The original tooling marks - presumably where the pipe was
formed by forcing through a die - was still clear and defined. In other
words no signs of erosion in over 100 years.

--
*Letting a cat out of the bag is easier than putting it back in *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.