Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Help with Tektronix TDS 460 scope acquisition fault please

Smeghead wrote in
:

On 18 Feb, 04:56, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:
"Smeghead" wrote in message

.
..

On Feb 17, 11:52 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Smeghead wrote

s.com:

Many thanks again...it means I really must find the time to get
the beast to bits and get the boards sorted. I also have a Tek
2235 and a 2215 both needing psu work ...maybe I should cut my
teeth on those first before getting stuck into theTDS.

those 2200s probably have bad electrolytics,too! (ESR)
At least they are not SMD.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Hi again Jim,
Yes cheers for that and I will be more at home in the non SMD
domain. Plus there is the luxury of good old Tek service manuals
showing component level detail. . Can you enlighten me on the
"Simple Green"? Is it a spray chemical from a can or a like a soap
solution?? A www ref to an advert would be nice!
Thanks
Mike K.

http://www.simplegreen.com/

Mike

Thanks Guys,
I did the googling and found Simple Green and as you all expected it
is available here in the UK and the web info is good; I'll get some
ASAP.
Thanks for info on pcb cleaning. I will read more & several times to
get the sequence right as I want to get it right.
Jim and others, do you strip out a load of dud electrolytics, then
clean pcb and replace them en-mass? or as I feel right now...a few at
a time and try the pcb to see that I have not made matters worse / or
accidentally got a wrong value in?? It is just that without a parts
list or detailed schematics on the TDS 460 modules there seems to be
ample opportunity if there a re approx 100 Cs to replace for me to
screw up, and not to be able to cross check the work as I go. It would
of course be great if the dodgy caps were all the same capacity and
voltage, but I don't know if that applies yet.
Thanks to those in the group for your replies.
Mike K.

you might as well do the entire board while you have it out,just do one
area at a time,work slowly and carefully.
Then clean/dry the entire board,re-inspect for reversed caps,solder
bridges,etc.

you could remove a few caps and measure their C,to be sure you have the
right values.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik