Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smeghead Smeghead is offline

Default Help with Tektronix TDS 460 scope acquisition fault please

On 18 Feb, 04:56, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:
"Smeghead" wrote in message

On Feb 17, 11:52 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Smeghead wrote
:

Many thanks again...it means I really must find the time to get the
beast to bits and get the boards sorted. I also have a Tek 2235 and a
2215 both needing psu work ...maybe I should cut my teeth on those
first before getting stuck into theTDS.

those 2200s probably have bad electrolytics,too! (ESR)
At least they are not SMD.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Hi again Jim,
Yes cheers for that and I will be more at home in the non SMD domain.
Plus there is the luxury of good old Tek service manuals showing
component level detail. . Can you enlighten me on the "Simple Green"?
Is it a spray chemical from a can or a like a soap solution?? A www
ref to an advert would be nice!
Thanks
Mike K.

http://www.simplegreen.com/

Mike

Thanks Guys,
I did the googling and found Simple Green and as you all expected it
is available here in the UK and the web info is good; I'll get some
ASAP.
Thanks for info on pcb cleaning. I will read more & several times to
get the sequence right as I want to get it right.
Jim and others, do you strip out a load of dud electrolytics, then
clean pcb and replace them en-mass? or as I feel right now...a few at
a time and try the pcb to see that I have not made matters worse / or
accidentally got a wrong value in?? It is just that without a parts
list or detailed schematics on the TDS 460 modules there seems to be
ample opportunity if there a re approx 100 Cs to replace for me to
screw up, and not to be able to cross check the work as I go. It would
of course be great if the dodgy caps were all the same capacity and
voltage, but I don't know if that applies yet.
Thanks to those in the group for your replies.
Mike K.