Posted to alt.home.repair
Dottie Dottie is offline

Default Roof bids from $1400-$6200???

On Feb 19, 4:24 pm, Norminn wrote:
wrote:
Any chance you just have ice dams and your rof is fine???? �You can get
lots of water backing
up UNDER roofing when the gutters aren't draining.- Hide quoted text -

thats why I was going to suggest that bitchane material although i
have no idea how its spelled.

its pricey but put on ice dam areas or all over roof in severe weather
areas. its a adhesive covered rubber coating with 2 layers of rubber
glued together with a sealing compound. you still use shingles, it
replaces tar paper. really makes for a dry roof

drive a nail thru it no leak....

Bitumen? We have that stuff, I think, on flat portions of our condo
roof. Use a torch to seal
seams, I think. Seems like an ice dam can still get under the edge -
what would prevent it?
I don't know when or why bitumen would be used under shingles.

I got a new roof last June. I got the GAF Timberline Ultra and it
says 30 sqs. The price was $6900. I had a tile roof before and that
included removing the old roof and hauling everything away. They
removed everything down to the bare plywood - replacing one sheet of
plywood. They renailed the plywood all over . I am in Florida and
the building codes have changed since my house was built - so they
were also bringing it up to code. They used a Cobra ridge vent. The
shingles are supposed to stay on through 110 mph winds. The vents
over the bathrooms and kitchen look just like the old ones I had -
nothing special about them.

Be sure you get at least three estimates. Check to see the one you
like has a business license and insurance. Best to check around your
neighborhood and see who others used. Get someone who works pretty
fast because you don't want to have lots of heavy rain storms while
you are without a roof covering.