Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default Overkill???

On Feb 19, 5:22 pm, "Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ ‰ "
wrote:
JC wrote:
I'm switching from a 100 to a 200 amp service. I'm going to lay new
cable from the meter, 185 feet, underground, to the entrance of the
house. I have a retired city electrical inspector (I'm out in the county
where no inspections are required) that is going to do the connections
and some inside work. He told me the other day that I needed to use #2
copper cable unless it was over 200 feet and then would have to go to #3
(or vice versa -- that's not the question) in schedule 80 EIGHTY!!!
pipe. The question is, why copper instead of aluminum and why in the
world he call for schedule 80??? I have cattle trucks, loaded 18
wheelers, run over schedule 40 all day long and never have a crack. The
original wire is not in any pipe at all.

If left to my own devices I'd just run 185 feet of whatever size cable
required with no pipe. Is this guy doing some overkill here just to be
on the safe side?

Here is another handy little chart.http://www.worldchat.com/~sva-sales/...ing_chart.html

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8