Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Roof bids from $1400-$6200???

JMartin wrote:

I have had three contractors out for my roof.

I have one layer of shingles. I have one big vent at the end of the
house, but bad moisture problems inside. Water drips from every door
jamb. I figure this is mostly the leaky roof, combined with non-
existent venting.

My siding is solid on the soffits/eaves/whatever you call it. I know
it's supposed to be the ventilated siding, but it's not.

One says $6200 for a tear off and total resheathing, new ridge/soffit
vents and 30 year shingles.

Next is $4800 for tear off, new shingles, new vents.

Third is $1400 to re-roof over the shingles. He says he can use a saw
to cut a hole to put ridge vents in and then add soffit ones.

Is Mr. Cheapo doable?

What about my siding? Will I have to replace that? I can't imagine a
vent can work if the siding is solid...

Thanks
Jena

Go to any shingle mfg. website - Elk, Certainteed, etc., pick an average
type of shingle, and read
the installation instructions. Elk used to have good data on their
site, and it is educational - it will
help you understand the components to a roof job and what you will be
charged for.

Af for ridge vents, they are a pretty simple matter on a straight peak
roof. Each 300 square feet
of attic FLOOR space (not roof area) should have one square foot of vent
opening. Air should
flow through the attic from under the eaves.

Any chance you just have ice dams and your rof is fine???? You can get
lots of water backing
up UNDER roofing when the gutters aren't draining.