Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Roof bids from $1400-$6200???

JMartin wrote:

I have had three contractors out for my roof.

I have one layer of shingles. I have one big vent at the end of the
house, but bad moisture problems inside. Water drips from every door
jamb. I figure this is mostly the leaky roof, combined with non-
existent venting.

I haven't read much of this thread yet, but forgive me for doubting this
is a serious post........
you have water dripping from every door jamb???!!!!!?? How many door
jambs? Immediately
under the attic? Are your ceilings sagging? One story? Two?
What does the attic space look like, as far as drips, leaks, stains?

My siding is solid on the soffits/eaves/whatever you call it. I know
it's supposed to be the ventilated siding, but it's not.

One says $6200 for a tear off and total resheathing, new ridge/soffit
vents and 30 year shingles.

Next is $4800 for tear off, new shingles, new vents.

The fact that you are comparing these two bids tells me you need to
learn a good deal about
roofing. I am not trying to be critical or sarcastic - the bids should
be itemized so that you
can compare item for item, including brand/type of shingle, brand/type
of underlayment, price
per sheet of sheathing, disposal, cleanup.

Third is $1400 to re-roof over the shingles. He says he can use a saw
to cut a hole to put ridge vents in and then add soffit ones.

Reroofing over old shingles is not a good idea in any case; with serious
leaks, it is an awful idea. Ridge
vents can be fairly simple even when not reroofing.

Is Mr. Cheapo doable?

Don't even consider "Mr. Cheapo" until you KNOW what needs to be done
and what, exactly,
each bid includes.

What about my siding? Will I have to replace that? I can't imagine a
vent can work if the siding is solid...

Thanks
Jena