Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Reducing noise/vibration

On Feb 19, 8:13*am, JMartin wrote:
I am buying a house that sits about 200 feet from a train track. *The
track is on an elevated embankment. *They like to do a bit of
switching with all the banging and clanging, then they power up the
locomotive and shove it all away. *I get a combination of noise from
the cars and then the vibration when those engines power up.

The vibration is the most annoying as the whole floor vibrates in a
buzzing kind of way.

My house has a full block basement and is constructed of wood siding
under aluminum siding.
My windows are old wood with old wood storms. *My exterior doors have
to be replaced.

This house needs lots of work from replacing the roof to new drywall
inside to finishing the basement. *What can I do as I proceed with the
work to reduce the noise and vibration?

Thanks
Jena

I know you didn't ask, but...

Aside from the structural issues, have you considered the payback
issues?

You could spend a lot of money beefing up the structure to eliminate
noise and (possibly) vibration, as well as replacing windows and doors
and finishing the basement only to find that you'll never get your
money back because people might not want to pay a high price to live
near the train tracks. It's akin to pouring $250,000 in upgrades into
a house in a $100,000 neighborhood. You'll never get your investment
back.

Granted, if you plan to stay in the house for an extremely long time,
then do whatever you want to it - your comfort and enjoyment should
come first - but just remember that it might be hard to get your
"upgrade money" back simply due to the location.

My wife and I looked at a recently upgraded house right next to an
expressway. With new windows, doors and blown in insulation, you
couldn't hear the cars inside the house, but as soon as you opened a
window or went out into the beautiful yard, it was all you could hear.
The house was listed way below it's "structural value" because people
didn't want to live next to a highway.

Just my .02