Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Roof bids from $1400-$6200???

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 05:29:05 -0800 (PST), JMartin wrote:

I have had three contractors out for my roof.

I have one layer of shingles. I have one big vent at the end of the
house, but bad moisture problems inside. Water drips from every door
jamb. I figure this is mostly the leaky roof, combined with non-
existent venting.

I assume only the exterior doors? If interior, why only the doors and not
the rest of the ceiling.

My siding is solid on the soffits/eaves/whatever you call it. I know
it's supposed to be the ventilated siding, but it's not.

One says $6200 for a tear off and total resheathing, new ridge/soffit
vents and 30 year shingles.

Next is $4800 for tear off, new shingles, new vents.

Third is $1400 to re-roof over the shingles. He says he can use a saw
to cut a hole to put ridge vents in and then add soffit ones.

Is Mr. Cheapo doable?

You will only get a 25yr warranty on 30yr shingles if you roof over
existing shingles and you will not find out if you have any bad sheathing.

What about my siding? Will I have to replace that? I can't imagine a
vent can work if the siding is solid...

Cutins are common.

Thanks
Jena