Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

Default why 60-40 solder?

"Mike" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:50:38 -0500, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

Hmm.. I didn't realize that there were any regulations on leaded solder
here
in the USA. I just thought we got consumer grade crap that was
manufactured
for sale in the EU that happens to be ROHS compliant.

As 99% of electronics that consumers buy originates in places other
than in the USA you'll end up with exactly the same Chinese, Korean
and Japanese crap that RoHS has forced on Europe, it might have some
RoHS components, it might have lead free solder but it will have what
the production plant has to hand and what stickers they have. You CAN
pay for proper quality control but it costs. Produce it within your
own borders and you might end up with something that will last, but on
the downside it will nearly always cost ten times as much as the
import.

It is impossible to get it through thick politicians heads that
solidly built equipment with 60/40 solder and replaced every 10-20
years is much better for the environment than stuff that barely makes
it into the consumers home before going completely tits up.

This is my current problem, I need to get a new tv. I don't think I can make
my old 1988 Sylvania 28" run much longer. The tube is getting weak. But I
don't want to spend $800 on a TV that will last 3 years die and be un
servicable.

Mike