Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

Default why 60-40 solder?

"jakdedert" wrote in message
Kevin G. Rhoads wrote:
Showing that Arnold is not just another pretty face. Implementing RoHS
as mandated by the EU for solders may actually cause the release of
greater amounts of toxins into the environment than use of traditional
lead-tin
alloys. There have been studies that address this issue, and the
"benefit"
of EU-style RoHS is far from clear and certainly not unalloyed (pun
intentional).

So EU-style RoHS regulation for solder:
1) results in poorer quality products
2) may actually worsen the environment relative to what would be with use
of lead-tin
Sounds like typical politco-think. Jump too soon on some bandwagon
because it sounds
good, then refuse to even look publically at the evidence that perhaps it
was a mistake.
Just quietly grant exemptions to pressure groups with enough lobbying
clout or soft
money ...

Politicians, Bah Humbug. (And, yes, I vote; not just complain.)

Arfa Daily wrote:
snippage
Schwarzenegger sent the bill back to the California legislature in the
fall,
stating in a memo that the bill’s approach “is largely unworkable and
instead of the benefits it seeks to accomplish, could ultimately result
in
unintended and potentially more harmful consequences.”

Arfa

Agree completely with the above. IMM, the problem is not lead content of
equipment in use, but what happens to it after useful life. I assume the
original intent of the legislation was the same, although I've not
followed either the issue or the thread till now.

In that vein, the greater issue is that there are so many things being
disposed of, and disposed of irresponsibly.

Were it the case, that consumer electronics were not so 'disposable', the
problem would be much less dire (if indeed it is so, even now). How many
of us here--who have sniffing solder fumes daily for 40 or more
years--have any significant amount of it in our systems? I would guess,
little more than the population as a whole.

If things were made to last and be repairable and/or upgradeable...and
finally *responsibly* disposable/recyclable; we wouldn't be in this
pickle.

jak

Ah, but thats not how the world thinks these days.. Especailly in America.
People want new stuff all the time. Look at cell phones and TVs. I hear in
parts of the country people throw away perfectly good CRT TVs because they
are not thin and flat!?!? I wish I could get my hands on a nice 32-36" CRT
TV that someone is upgrading. I don't like these new display types because
they are almost all Wide screen and therefore distort the picture or have
huge bars on each side of the screen. The picture quality increase of HDTV
is neglible from a sutiable viewing distance unless of course you are using
it as a computer monitor.

Mike