Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Tim Shoppa Tim Shoppa is offline

Default why 60-40 solder?

On Feb 18, 5:11*pm, clifto wrote:
Michael Kennedy wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote...
Let's be clear that the United States has less stringent regulations.
AIUI, commercial (as opposed to consumer) boards for sale in the U.S.
may still use leaded solder.

Hmm.. I didn't realize that there were any regulations on leaded solder here
in the USA. I just thought we got consumer grade crap that was manufactured
for sale in the EU that happens to be ROHS compliant.

Ditto. I'd love to know about any laws banning leaded solder in the USA
so I can get a jump on starting my new multimillion-dollar recycled home-
electronics business.

For residential plumbing, lead solder has been illegal in the US since
1988 or so.

Tim.