Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default why 60-40 solder?

Kevin G. Rhoads wrote:
Showing that Arnold is not just another pretty face. Implementing RoHS
as mandated by the EU for solders may actually cause the release of greater
amounts of toxins into the environment than use of traditional lead-tin
alloys. There have been studies that address this issue, and the "benefit"
of EU-style RoHS is far from clear and certainly not unalloyed (pun intentional).

So EU-style RoHS regulation for solder:
1) results in poorer quality products
2) may actually worsen the environment relative to what would be with use of lead-tin
Sounds like typical politco-think. Jump too soon on some bandwagon because it sounds
good, then refuse to even look publically at the evidence that perhaps it was a mistake.
Just quietly grant exemptions to pressure groups with enough lobbying clout or soft
money ...

Politicians, Bah Humbug. (And, yes, I vote; not just complain.)

Arfa Daily wrote:
snippage
Schwarzenegger sent the bill back to the California legislature in the fall,
stating in a memo that the bill’s approach “is largely unworkable and
instead of the benefits it seeks to accomplish, could ultimately result in
unintended and potentially more harmful consequences.”

Arfa

Agree completely with the above. IMM, the problem is not lead content
of equipment in use, but what happens to it after useful life. I assume
the original intent of the legislation was the same, although I've not
followed either the issue or the thread till now.

In that vein, the greater issue is that there are so many things being
disposed of, and disposed of irresponsibly.

Were it the case, that consumer electronics were not so 'disposable',
the problem would be much less dire (if indeed it is so, even now). How
many of us here--who have sniffing solder fumes daily for 40 or more
years--have any significant amount of it in our systems? I would guess,
little more than the population as a whole.

If things were made to last and be repairable and/or upgradeable...and
finally *responsibly* disposable/recyclable; we wouldn't be in this pickle.

jak