Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default why 60-40 solder?

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:50:38 -0500, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

Hmm.. I didn't realize that there were any regulations on leaded solder here
in the USA. I just thought we got consumer grade crap that was manufactured
for sale in the EU that happens to be ROHS compliant.

As 99% of electronics that consumers buy originates in places other
than in the USA you'll end up with exactly the same Chinese, Korean
and Japanese crap that RoHS has forced on Europe, it might have some
RoHS components, it might have lead free solder but it will have what
the production plant has to hand and what stickers they have. You CAN
pay for proper quality control but it costs. Produce it within your
own borders and you might end up with something that will last, but on
the downside it will nearly always cost ten times as much as the
import.

It is impossible to get it through thick politicians heads that
solidly built equipment with 60/40 solder and replaced every 10-20
years is much better for the environment than stuff that barely makes
it into the consumers home before going completely tits up.

I'm still using the same amp and turntable I bought in 1980, the same
CD player I bought in 1987, the same main TV I bought in 1989 and the
same portable TV I bought in 1980. The VHS Video I bought in 1983 was
only recently retired with the purchase of a Digital Terrestrial Hard
Disc Recorder. I doubt it will last 10 years let alone 25.

Other than a few caps, the odd semi and a few dry joints, they haven't
really needed any major work. I reluctantly threw out a couple of
17" monitors last week - down the dump there was a huge pile of
discount shop brand TV's that looked at the most a couple of years
old.