Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stop Cock Up

wrote:
Thus spake The Medway Handyman )
unto the assembled multitudes:
[...]
Cunning plan. Got the customer to stand by his kitchen cold tap,
went outside & called him on the mobile. Turned off stopcock one.
No joy. Opened it again.

Stopcock two, shut off, no difference. Opened it again and to my
surprise a jet of extremely cold water at surprisingly high pressure
made contact with most of my upper body. Second surprise was to
find the top part of the bloody stopcock in my hand.

[...]

He put his tools away & returned from the van. I expected a large
bill. To my surprise & delight he profusely apologised for the
inconvenience caused by the poor installation! Result!

But did you ever find out which stopcock served your customer's house
and
complete the small plumbing job?

Yes I did! It was number 3.

--