Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default why 60-40 solder?

In article ,
clifto wrote:

Michael Kennedy wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote...
Let's be clear that the United States has less stringent regulations.
AIUI, commercial (as opposed to consumer) boards for sale in the U.S.
may still use leaded solder.

Hmm.. I didn't realize that there were any regulations on leaded solder
here
in the USA. I just thought we got consumer grade crap that was manufactured
for sale in the EU that happens to be ROHS compliant.

Ditto. I'd love to know about any laws banning leaded solder in the USA
so I can get a jump on starting my new multimillion-dollar recycled home-
electronics business.

ah-so. Apparently my confusion on this issue hasn't worn off yet.
*Somewhere* I thought I heard that consumer grade electronics had to be
RoHS compliant, but it might have been a dream...

I do know that California has some RoHS restrictions. I also know that
several of our customers who market globally require us to comply with
EU RoHS assembly standards so that they can market worldwide without
trying to keep track of which unit has lead and which one doesn't.

So it's likely that even stuff manufactured in the U.S., for sale in the
U.S., has the feared lead-free solder in it.