Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default air in pipes

On Feb 18, 11:55*am, Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:
I am having difficulty with what I believe is air in my pipes. I hear
a very long and loud groan often, and from almost any tap. * It is
getting more frequent and loud and actaully will occur when we are not
even using *a tap i.e. during the night. *Right now it is happening
while we do the laundry. Any ideas on how to stop it?

Long shot, but a groan or fog-horn noise may be from
a toilet ballcock. *One brand in particular would create
vibrations like that as it attempts to close.

To find out: *shut off the supply valve(s) to toilets
and see if the groan still occurs.

Jim

I had a Fluidmaster toilet valve that would do that. It didn't leak,
but would make an ungodly racket when you flushed the toilet. After I
shut the water off to the house to do repairs elsewhere it got so loud
that I finally broke down and bought a new one, et voila problem
solved. I guess a piece of crud must have been stuck in it somewhere
and was vibrating back and forth as the water flowed through it.

nate