Posted to alt.home.repair

Default air in pipes

I am having difficulty with what I believe is air in my pipes. I hear
a very long and loud groan often, and from almost any tap. It is
getting more frequent and loud and actaully will occur when we are not
even using a tap i.e. during the night. Right now it is happening
while we do the laundry. Any ideas on how to stop it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am having difficulty with what I believe is air in my pipes. I hear
a very long and loud groan often, and from almost any tap. It is
getting more frequent and loud and actaully will occur when we are not
even using a tap i.e. during the night. Right now it is happening
while we do the laundry. Any ideas on how to stop it?

Doubt it is the pipes if you hear it when no water is running. Could be
pipes expanding when the heat goes on if you have hot water heat. Could be
a portion is no longer supported properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 1:06*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Speedy Jim" wrote in message

I am having difficulty with what I believe is air in my pipes. I hear
a very long and loud groan often, and from almost any tap. * It is
getting more frequent and loud and actaully will occur when we are not
even using *a tap i.e. during the night. *Right now it is happening
while we do the laundry. Any ideas on how to stop it?

Long shot, but a groan or fog-horn noise may be from
a toilet ballcock. *One brand in particular would create
vibrations like that as it attempts to close.

To find out: *shut off the supply valve(s) to toilets
and see if the groan still occurs.

Jim

Could be a very slow leak draining down so the valve opens a bit during the
night too. *I think you may have the answer.

looks like the toilet was the culprit. It was difficlut to determine
which one it was, but it seems to have helped. Thanks all.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 18, 11:55*am, Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:
I am having difficulty with what I believe is air in my pipes. I hear
a very long and loud groan often, and from almost any tap. * It is
getting more frequent and loud and actaully will occur when we are not
even using *a tap i.e. during the night. *Right now it is happening
while we do the laundry. Any ideas on how to stop it?

Long shot, but a groan or fog-horn noise may be from
a toilet ballcock. *One brand in particular would create
vibrations like that as it attempts to close.

To find out: *shut off the supply valve(s) to toilets
and see if the groan still occurs.

Jim

I had a Fluidmaster toilet valve that would do that. It didn't leak,
but would make an ungodly racket when you flushed the toilet. After I
shut the water off to the house to do repairs elsewhere it got so loud
that I finally broke down and bought a new one, et voila problem
solved. I guess a piece of crud must have been stuck in it somewhere
and was vibrating back and forth as the water flowed through it.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am having difficulty with what I believe is air in my pipes. I hear
a very long and loud groan often, and from almost any tap. It is
getting more frequent and loud and actaully will occur when we are not
even using a tap i.e. during the night. Right now it is happening
while we do the laundry. Any ideas on how to stop it?

At one of my houses, I have ONE valve when left open will screech and moan
and make ungodly noises like Cathy, an old girlfriend of mine. But that's
another story.

Noises like you describe are water running through a slightly open valve.
It is an indication of a leak, a faucet or hose bib that is slightly open, a
toilet filler that is cycling because of a bad flapper, lots of things.
You've probably heard it many times when opening and closing valves/faucets.

Most of these things are in a position where they just cause aggravation.
But if it's in a place where a leak is making a difference and damaging,
then it needs to be found. Do a pressure test on your house, and I'll bet
you a double Wendy's burger you have a slight loss somewhere. After that,
finding it is the fun part. Try different things. Try turning off your
sprinklers for a day and see if that's it.

It can be caused also by auto pool fillers, sprinkling systems, and anything
that uses water.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Those floating type water shutoffs have a cleanout feature few people know
about. You turn off the water (duh) crank the top 1/4 turn, set the
mechanism to the side, put a cup over the water outlet, turn the water on
and off a couple of times, wipe your finger around the top rubber seals, and
that will stop a lot of running on. It's in the instructions. (That white
paper that comes in the box.) I have changed at least a dozen of those, and
FINALLY read the instructions on how to clean them out.

It's a male thing.

Steve

Pipes Mrs Bonk Home Repair 2 March 4th 06 02:23 AM
Plastic pipes v copper pipes! Vikki UK diy 11 November 26th 05 03:44 PM
What's the best way to lag pipes? Dave UK diy 7 April 2nd 05 12:38 AM
What are these pipes for? [email protected] Home Repair 24 December 27th 04 09:56 PM
Freezing Pipes or Pipes frozen could the Instant Hot Water Recirculator from RedyTemp work [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 11th 04 12:18 PM