Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default Stop Cock Up

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Its been a funny old day.............

Simple small plumbing job for a regular customer, 10 year old detached
house. Not done any plumbing work there before however.

Could not find any internal stopcock anywhere. Looked in all the obvious
places, asked the neighbours where theirs were, customer didn't know.

No problem. I'll turn of the water outside. Customer happy with that.
Found a metal access cover, lifted it to find 4 x meters & 4 x plastic
stopcocks - not a label in sight, chamber about 22" deep, just about able to
reach them when kneeling directly over the chamber.

Cunning plan. Got the customer to stand by his kitchen cold tap, went
outside & called him on the mobile. Turned off stopcock one. No joy.
Opened it again.

Stopcock two, shut off, no difference. Opened it again and to my surprise a
jet of extremely cold water at surprisingly high pressure made contact with
most of my upper body. Second surprise was to find the top part of the
bloody stopcock in my hand.

It hadn't broken, simply come undone, not a dissimilar arrangement to a
normal tap jumper.

"You're the Drivel in disguise,
Oh yes you are
You're the Drivel in disguise ..."