Posted to alt.home.repair

Default air in pipes

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
I am having difficulty with what I believe is air in my pipes. I hear
a very long and loud groan often, and from almost any tap. It is
getting more frequent and loud and actaully will occur when we are not
even using a tap i.e. during the night. Right now it is happening
while we do the laundry. Any ideas on how to stop it?

Long shot, but a groan or fog-horn noise may be from
a toilet ballcock. One brand in particular would create
vibrations like that as it attempts to close.

To find out: shut off the supply valve(s) to toilets
and see if the groan still occurs.

Jim

Could be a very slow leak draining down so the valve opens a bit during the
night too. I think you may have the answer.