Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

Looking at the nicely packaged yellow gas lines, we asked EVERYONE in the
stores if we should replace and they all (multiple stores) said nobody
replaces the gas line. They said leave it so we don't introduce a leak.

So, purely for safety reasons, we didn't replace the gas line (using the
store logic).

You don't replace the black iron gas line, but you want to replace the
stainless flex whenever you replace the appliance.