Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator is offline

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:50:04 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

(it's leaking very slightly from where the corroded
threads meet the new steel nipple)?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2273262551/

Most likely you didn't crank it in enough...
If the leak doesn't stop, you'll have to redo that.

I watched Bill crank it like crazy so it's certainly tight enough!

We think the threads on the 50-year old galvanized steel elbow are clogged
up and that's what is causing the slow dribble out of the cold water inlet
pipe.

We now have the confidence to tackle this job - we just were unsure how to
remove the elbow or cut the pipe or remove the pipe from the wall.

install the valve with lever away from the vent, 90
degrees rotated from where it is.

We'll do that when we figure out how to fix the slight leak above.

See how hot it gets after a heater run.

It's cold.

Galvanized pipes can easily last 50 years.

Our house was built in 1958!

Somebody mentioned the gas flex you used

We feel confident in swapping out the gas flex if that's what we should do.
Do others feel we must do that (we don't mind as parts costs are
miniscule).

We just want to do the job right.

Thanks for the advice.
One thing that is still undone is the overflow vent (we'll ask separately).

Donna