Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator is offline

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:30:03 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
I appears that you re-used the flex gas line. That should be replaced with
any new installation and would be a code violation in most, if not all,
places.

Hi Edwin,

Thank you! That was another of my questions!
(strangely I have more questions after the job than before).

Looking at the nicely packaged yellow gas lines, we asked EVERYONE in the
stores if we should replace and they all (multiple stores) said nobody
replaces the gas line. They said leave it so we don't introduce a leak.

So, purely for safety reasons, we didn't replace the gas line (using the
store logic).

But, we would have been happy to replace the gas line as the costs for
quality parts is miniscule in this job, given the major cost for the heater
itself.

Where do I look up our local code requirements anyway?
I went to our town site and saw they have an office but nothing on the web.

Donna