Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

I don't expect to replace appliances (vacuum cleaner, dish washer,
stove, refrigerator, washer, dryer, toaster, etc) until they are �in
need of repair. �It's at that point when I typically determine if its
cost effective to replace or repair (typically it's best to toss at that
point). �I also wait for light bulbs to burn out, etc. � My three lawn
mowers each last about 15 years... till they died.

What other items do you replace on a regular basis?- Hide quoted text -

I have repaired machines my entire life, i am 51 my vans are mid 90s
but try to maintain them I dont buy new vehicles. I prefer to fix non
critical appliances

mostly i have 2 of everything so when one breaks i use the back up.

2 washers, 2 dryers, 2 vans, 2 lawn mowers, spare tools, spare
everything. if it werent for space i would have 2 hot water tanks, and
2 dishwashers

my basement where the hot water tank lives is my shop for my business,
i sell and service office equiptement.

so i really dont want a basement full of water even a foot would be
bad, and the moisture ruin inventory.

having had a hot water tank fail on christmas eve, in a snow storm
with family coming to stay i would much prefer to replace a tank early
in the morning on a spring day

warm dry comfy. no stress.

now lets look at the economics of tank replacement

DIY a 400 buck tank thats replaced in 8 years nets a cost of 50 bucks
a year.

thats less than a decent candy bar a week...........

plus the new tank has better efficency and doesnt boil when heating.
my current tank has started doing that......... wife doesnt like the
noise, it can be heard upstairs.

did you know a person who buys a brand new mid priced car every 5
years, in a lifetime spends about $250,000 just on new car purchase.

now does my 400 buck purchase compare?

incidently we have some tough to get at light fixtures here, when one
bulb burns out i replace them all. I prefer all fixtures to have
multiple bulbs, when one burns out theres still enough light to see