Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing Question

On Feb 17, 4:51�pm, "Blattus Slafaly � � 0/00 "
wrote:
Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

I think I know the answer to this query, but I'd feel remiss if I didn't at
least ask.

There is a brown water stain on the ceiling of the room below �from a leak
in the bathroom above.
The stain is Not directly under the shower or toilet or sink.

Haven't been concerned with plumbing for quite a while.

Are there any new, modern, techniques for locating the leak other than
ripping up the ceiling (ugh !) ?

Or "stop-leak" prodicts like for a car's radiator ?

I realize also that the water leak from a fitting or whatever might be many
feet from the stain in that the dripping water migh be running along a pipe
before it does finally fall off onto the ceiling.

e.g. what would be the first thing to consider, or most likely perhaps ?

Any thoughts on all of this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
B.

You should be able to rent, I know you can buy one; a thing called a 36"
Fiber Optic Scope. So you can drill a tiny hole in the wall or ceiling
or floor and go in there with the scope and look around near the leak
and probably find out what is going on. Harbor Freight has one for
$269.00, a little expensive but think of the uses you'll have for it or
start your own rental business or investigative business.

--
Blattus Slafaly �? 3 � � �7/8- Hide quoted text -

look it sounds nice to avoid taking out the cieling BUT

its likely damaged anyway, and will need at least partially replaced

with a clear view you can see not only this leak but other things
that may be going bad.

I just pulled down a part of my kitchen cieling, and found the primary
leak. but the good view showed the start of a secondary one, the
copper lines now near 60 years old are failing with lots of small
leaks.

well i might as well replace it all with PVC

last time that cieling was down was 11 years ago. its time for you to
take a look at everything.

the cieling at least a part of it must go, and a plumber would do the
same thing, while charging plumber dollars for simple demo work.

even a fibre optic device wouldnt let you see as good as opening it up