Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing Question

Hello,

I think I know the answer to this query, but I'd feel remiss if I didn't at
least ask.

There is a brown water stain on the ceiling of the room below from a leak
in the bathroom above.
The stain is Not directly under the shower or toilet or sink.

Haven't been concerned with plumbing for quite a while.

Are there any new, modern, techniques for locating the leak other than
ripping up the ceiling (ugh !) ?

Or "stop-leak" prodicts like for a car's radiator ?

I realize also that the water leak from a fitting or whatever might be many
feet from the stain in that the dripping water migh be running along a pipe
before it does finally fall off onto the ceiling.

e.g. what would be the first thing to consider, or most likely perhaps ?

Any thoughts on all of this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:

[...]

Age of house? Type of drain piping? Cast iron, galv iron, copper, plastic?

Most frequent is a toilet flange seal. If it's a joint
or pipe leak, could be anything.

No Stop Leak.

In the end, you'll probably have to make at least
a small exploratory incision.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 4:51�pm, "Blattus Slafaly � � 0/00 "
wrote:
Robert11 wrote:
[...]

You should be able to rent, I know you can buy one; a thing called a 36"
Fiber Optic Scope. So you can drill a tiny hole in the wall or ceiling
or floor and go in there with the scope and look around near the leak
and probably find out what is going on. Harbor Freight has one for
$269.00, a little expensive but think of the uses you'll have for it or
start your own rental business or investigative business.

--
Blattus Slafaly �? 3 � � �7/8- Hide quoted text -

look it sounds nice to avoid taking out the cieling BUT

its likely damaged anyway, and will need at least partially replaced

with a clear view you can see not only this leak but other things
that may be going bad.

I just pulled down a part of my kitchen cieling, and found the primary
leak. but the good view showed the start of a secondary one, the
copper lines now near 60 years old are failing with lots of small
leaks.

well i might as well replace it all with PVC

last time that cieling was down was 11 years ago. its time for you to
take a look at everything.

the cieling at least a part of it must go, and a plumber would do the
same thing, while charging plumber dollars for simple demo work.

even a fibre optic device wouldnt let you see as good as opening it up

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in
:

?

Any thoughts on all of this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
B.

Are there any new, modern, techniques for locating the leak other than
ripping up the ceiling (ugh !) ?

Well, there's a lot of new, modern tools for making the same hole :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey Sylly-

They make drain lines in PEX in your part of the world?

JK

Not PVC... PEX.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 6:58�pm, Big_Jake wrote:
Hey Sylly-

They make drain lines in PEX in your part of the world?

JK

Not PVC... �PEX.- Hide quoted text -

yeah i wondered about that too. my bad copper lines are drain
lines,..........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 1:10 pm, sylvan butler
wrote:
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:11:29 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Feb 17, 6:58�pm, Big_Jake wrote:
Hey Sylly-

They make drain lines in PEX in your part of the world?

JK

Not PVC... �PEX.- Hide quoted text -

yeah i wondered about that too. my bad copper lines are drain
lines,..........

Oh, sorry, was thinking supply. (never seen copper drains in a
residential so I don't naturally think that way) Of course, in my part
of the world we don't use PVC for drain lines either.

sdb

--
What's seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

Ok, now you have my attention. ABS? or something really unusual?

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
residential so I don't naturally think that way) Of course, in my part
of the world we don't use PVC for drain lines either.

Ok, now you have my attention. ABS? or something really unusual?

Cheap ABS. Foam core, typically. About the only PVC you see is the
sewer mains put in by the city. ABS thruout the building, and out to
the street. I was trying to find some PVC waste fittings and all the
jobbers looked at me like I was crazy. Had to order them.

sdb

Plumbing Question Dottie Home Repair 11 October 17th 07 09:28 PM
Plumbing question jsimmons88 Home Repair 7 April 2nd 07 10:05 PM
Concrete question (regarding previous plumbing question) [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 17th 06 08:07 PM
Plumbing question Art Home Repair 13 December 9th 04 10:34 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM