Posted to rec.woodworking
DS[_2_] DS[_2_] is offline

Default ARTICLE - Sharpening Carving Chisels

Robert Allison wrote:
DS wrote:

Robert Allison wrote:

I have never bought a chisel that I considered to be sharp when it
was new. I always had to tune it up a little to get it just right.

I'm terrible at sharpening. When I buy a chisel, it's likely as
perfect as it will ever be. I use it as long as I can before
sharpening, because after I sharpen it, it's misshapen, sharp
here/dull there, overheated, lopsided, and abused.

The sharpening jig I'm looking for is a box into which I can place the
tool, close the lid, then come back in a few minutes to a finely honed
edge.
If it's more complicated than that - I'm gonna bugger it up.

Don't worry, you are not alone. Sometimes on a job I will pull out my
stones and start tuning up a chisel or something. You would not believe
how many people come over with horribly mishapen chisels or knives and
want me to "fix them up".

I generally take everyones chisels home when I have the time and sharpen
them all at once. It is a zen like experience, really.

So... I've got a shop full of chisels, plane irons, gouges, skews,
knives, awls, and even a couple of screwdrivers that I'd like to box up
and send to you for rehabilitation!