Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default ARTICLE - Sharpening Carving Chisels

http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=395

A bit too fussy for my taste.

JOAT
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker

I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 2:28 pm, (J T) wrote:
http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=395

A bit too fussy for my taste.

JOAT
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker

I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.

Thought there might be some reference material there, but it's just
another snip that Woodcraft picked up from a book they sell.

Sharpening is interesting for a few minutes. After that, I want to
start working with wood. I just can't get as persnickety as some
woodworkers seem to be. I'll spend a couple hours, maybe three, to
save a favored old tool, but after that, it gets the same sharpening
as any other, which takes five minutes. Or less.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote

Sharpening is interesting for a few minutes. After that, I want to
start working with wood. I just can't get as persnickety as some
woodworkers seem to be. I'll spend a couple hours, maybe three, to
save a favored old tool, but after that, it gets the same sharpening
as any other, which takes five minutes. Or less.

Purchased the WorkSharp 3000 (partly based on Charlie B's review and other
gathered information) and for the first time in a long time all my chisels,
and most of my planes, are 'scary sharp' in less than 10 - 15 minutes each
.... all with no mess whatsoever.

.... and the "mess" is what's turned me off for umpteen years, to the point
that I'd almost rather buy a new, almost sharp chisel, then sharpen an old
one.

Nice to be able to grab a sharp chisel out of the drawer, use it a few
minutes, touch it up in seconds, then put it back, still sharp, for the next
time.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 4:01 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote

[...]

Sounds like my kind of machine. I'll check that out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"Charlie Self" wrote

[...]

I have never bought a chisel that I considered to be sharp when
it was new. I always had to tune it up a little to get it just
right.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Allison wrote:

I have never bought a chisel that I considered to be sharp when it was
new. I always had to tune it up a little to get it just right.

I'm terrible at sharpening. When I buy a chisel, it's likely as perfect
as it will ever be. I use it as long as I can before sharpening, because
after I sharpen it, it's misshapen, sharp here/dull there, overheated,
lopsided, and abused.

The sharpening jig I'm looking for is a box into which I can place the
tool, close the lid, then come back in a few minutes to a finely honed edge.
If it's more complicated than that - I'm gonna bugger it up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DS wrote:

Robert Allison wrote:

I have never bought a chisel that I considered to be sharp when it was
new. I always had to tune it up a little to get it just right.

I'm terrible at sharpening. When I buy a chisel, it's likely as perfect
as it will ever be. I use it as long as I can before sharpening, because
after I sharpen it, it's misshapen, sharp here/dull there, overheated,
lopsided, and abused.

The sharpening jig I'm looking for is a box into which I can place the
tool, close the lid, then come back in a few minutes to a finely honed
edge.
If it's more complicated than that - I'm gonna bugger it up.

Don't worry, you are not alone. Sometimes on a job I will pull
out my stones and start tuning up a chisel or something. You
would not believe how many people come over with horribly
mishapen chisels or knives and want me to "fix them up".

I generally take everyones chisels home when I have the time and
sharpen them all at once. It is a zen like experience, really.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 21:06:39 -0500, Tanus wrote:

I"m gonna get flamed but here goes.

No flame here! We all need to solve this problem in the way that
works best for us, because dull tools are awful.

Many years ago, I had an excellent
woodworking instructor who spent a great
deal of time showing us how to sharpen
with an oilstone.

I actually took a specific sharpening class

However, that skill is now lost. And I
don't have the patience to re-acquire
it. I've tried to sharpen free hand on
oil and water stones.

Any hand skill needs constant use to stay sharp. (sorry, bad pun)

Your experience is exactly why I broke down and bought a Tormek. As a
part timer, I couldn't keep the skill fresh. I can now get a tool
properly sharp, and keep it touched up on 4000/8000 grit water stones,
all the while getting back to working wood.

Whatever machine, jig, or technique works for the particular
craftsperson is the correct answer. G

This is the same reason I do a five minute dovetail to warm up for
hand work and spray scrap panels or cardboard boxes before I start to
spray a project. This is the woodworking version of the pre-game
skate!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote

I don't think this system is as good as
what charlieb and Swingman are using,
but it's a bit cheaper. YMMV

Actually, I've spent far more on waterstones than I did on the WorkSharp
3000. The basic unit, which will set you up to immediately do chisels and
plane irons, 'out of the box', is $199.

I found that much more attractive, costwise, and less messy, than the
Tormek, which I could have sprung for many times in the past, but was always
put off by the inherent "mess" of any water based grinding system.

The WS 3000 is probably not for everyone, but it certainly suits my purposes
_much_ better than any other sharpening method I've tried, and no sludge to
deal with.

(I've got a Grizzly slow speed water based grinder I'll give to anyone who
wants to come pick it up)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Tanus" wrote

I don't think this system is as good as
what charlieb and Swingman are using,
but it's a bit cheaper. YMMV

Actually, I've spent far more on waterstones than I did on the WorkSharp
3000. The basic unit, which will set you up to immediately do chisels and
plane irons, 'out of the box', is $199.

I found that much more attractive, costwise, and less messy, than the
Tormek, which I could have sprung for many times in the past, but was always
put off by the inherent "mess" of any water based grinding system.

The WS 3000 is probably not for everyone, but it certainly suits my purposes
_much_ better than any other sharpening method I've tried, and no sludge to
deal with.

(I've got a Grizzly slow speed water based grinder I'll give to anyone who
wants to come pick it up)

SOLD! I'll be by in..oh, wait. Houston,
right? As in Texas? Google maps says
you're a bazillion miles away. At
$4/gal, with a truck that makes 20 mpg,
that Griz will be a steal at $3,986 plus
customs duties once I bring it back to
Canada.

OTOH, I've always wanted to see the
Astrodome...

--

Tanus

www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Allison wrote:
DS wrote:

Robert Allison wrote:

[...]

So... I've got a shop full of chisels, plane irons, gouges, skews,
knives, awls, and even a couple of screwdrivers that I'd like to box up
and send to you for rehabilitation!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Allison wrote:
DS wrote:

Robert Allison wrote:

[...]

Actually, I just noticed the Georgetown in your sig. Next time I'm in
Round Rock for training, maybe I could drop a couple of gouges by, then
head to Reds in Pflugerville for some range time before heading down to
6th street for some music and brew.
That's pretty much my SOP when I'm there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote

OTOH, I've always wanted to see the
Astrodome...

Better hurry ... my guess is that it's soon going to be history. AAMOF,
we're playing what I expect will probably be our last gig there this coming
week, at a Rodeo function.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

DS wrote:

Robert Allison wrote:

DS wrote:

Robert Allison wrote:

[...]

You have to be earning money for me to provide that service for
free! I figure that if I sharpen their chisels and such for
them, they will accomplish more, therefore more profit for me.

Apparently, zen can be capitalistic, too!

:-)

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Allison wrote:

You have to be earning money for me to provide that service for free! I
figure that if I sharpen their chisels and such for them, they will
accomplish more, therefore more profit for me.

Apparently, zen can be capitalistic, too!

Well, I do spend quite a bit of money on beer and wild women in Austin.
Since I'm enriching the local economy, I'm sure some of that ends up
there in Georgetown. So really... If you think about it in the right way...

Posted to rec.woodworking

DS wrote:

Robert Allison wrote:

You have to be earning money for me to provide that service for free!
I figure that if I sharpen their chisels and such for them, they will
accomplish more, therefore more profit for me.

Apparently, zen can be capitalistic, too!

Well, I do spend quite a bit of money on beer and wild women in Austin.
Since I'm enriching the local economy, I'm sure some of that ends up
there in Georgetown. So really... If you think about it in the right way...

OK, you have convinced me. When you are coming through
Georgetown, take the Westinghouse road exit (south end of
G'town). You have to turn left on Westinghouse Rd. Go over the
interstate, then continue up the hill. When you are past the top
of the hill and going back downhill, you will see some VERY large
boulders stacked on the right side of the road. Leave all of
your chisels, etc. on the backside of the northeastern most
boulder. Be careful to wrap them in plastic to avoid moisture
damage.

Come back in six months and they will be ready.

Post here when you have left them.

:-)

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Allison wrote:
OK, you have convinced me. When you are coming through Georgetown, take
the Westinghouse road exit (south end of G'town). You have to turn left
on Westinghouse Rd. Go over the interstate, then continue up the hill.
When you are past the top of the hill and going back downhill, you will
see some VERY large boulders stacked on the right side of the road.
Leave all of your chisels, etc. on the backside of the northeastern most
boulder. Be careful to wrap them in plastic to avoid moisture damage.

Come back in six months and they will be ready.

Post here when you have left them.

Deal! If I can remember all that after practicing for deer hunting at
Red's then dear hunting in the warehouse district, I'll wrap 'em up and
leave 'em.