Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default Baseboard bullnose corners

SteveB wrote:
I bought the small corners that go on the corners of bullnose to match the
baseboards. Are these okay to just shoot on with the nailer, or should I
drill through them and the sheet metal of the bullnose and then use
finishing nails?

Steve

The bull nose that I work with is vinyl. I have never used metal
bullnose corner bead. I just glue these bullnose base corners
on, and, as Norm says, I use a few pins to hold it in place until
the glue dries. It is easier to align them with the baseboard
when I do it this way. The brad nailer does not move the piece
like a nail gun does and it is easy to hold it exactly where you
want it and pin it in place. I use construction adhesive or
adhesive caulk as the glue.

I have used the nail gun to shoot through the metal cornerbead on
regular square corners and it does just fine. I would estimate
that I have run over 300,000 lf of base, and have never had a
nail deflect in metal cornerbead. I have had them deflect off of
drywall nails or screws, though.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.