Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Baseboard bullnose corners

"SteveB" wrote in message
I bought the small corners that go on the corners of bullnose to match the
baseboards. Are these okay to just shoot on with the nailer, or should I
drill through them and the sheet metal of the bullnose and then use
finishing nails?

Steve

I am not familiar with the product you describe.

I can tell you it does not take much metal to deflect the average air nail.

And horrible things can happen when they deflect.

So if there is metal, I would break out the drill and nail set.

Sorry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"SteveB" wrote in message
I bought the small corners that go on the corners of bullnose to match
the baseboards. Are these okay to just shoot on with the nailer, or
should I drill through them and the sheet metal of the bullnose and then
use finishing nails?

Steve

I am not familiar with the product you describe.

I can tell you it does not take much metal to deflect the average air
nail.

And horrible things can happen when they deflect.

So if there is metal, I would break out the drill and nail set.

Sorry.

Bullnose is a sheet metal put on sheetrock corners to make them round.

Baseboard is wood or synthetic trim put to cover up where the sheetrock
meets the carpet on the bottom.

The round corners wrap around from the two pieces of baseboard to make a
continuous run of the same profile, and have it look nice and finished.
The round corners are round because if they were square corners, they
wouldn't fit on the round bull nose. These are wood.

Steve

Never head OS corner bead called that before.

For sure drill and nail. I am 99.99% certain a 16g nail gun will not shoot
through it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
I bought the small corners that go on the corners of bullnose to match the
baseboards. Are these okay to just shoot on with the nailer, or should I
drill through them and the sheet metal of the bullnose and then use
finishing nails?

Steve

The bull nose that I work with is vinyl. I have never used metal
bullnose corner bead. I just glue these bullnose base corners
on, and, as Norm says, I use a few pins to hold it in place until
the glue dries. It is easier to align them with the baseboard
when I do it this way. The brad nailer does not move the piece
like a nail gun does and it is easy to hold it exactly where you
want it and pin it in place. I use construction adhesive or
adhesive caulk as the glue.

I have used the nail gun to shoot through the metal cornerbead on
regular square corners and it does just fine. I would estimate
that I have run over 300,000 lf of base, and have never had a
nail deflect in metal cornerbead. I have had them deflect off of
drywall nails or screws, though.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
I have used the nail gun to shoot through the metal cornerbead on regular
square corners and it does just fine. I would estimate that I have run
over 300,000 lf of base, and have never had a nail deflect in metal
cornerbead. I have had them deflect off of drywall nails or screws,
though.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

I will defer to Robert's post, as I know his experience is far greater than
mine.

I still would not personally use a nail gun where the corner bead was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:18:37 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Cut yourself two short pieces of base for the nailing of the bull nose
trim. Adjust the bull nose trim (baseboard samples - alignment ) and
shoot with two long brads. Use the base pieces on the next outside
corner... Get the brad through the bull/ corner bead without
splitting it

--
Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 6:16 pm, Robert Allison wrote:
SteveB wrote:
I bought the small corners that go on the corners of bullnose to match the
baseboards. Are these okay to just shoot on with the nailer, or should I
drill through them and the sheet metal of the bullnose and then use
finishing nails?

The bull nose that I work with is vinyl. I have never used metal
bullnose corner bead. I just glue these bullnose base corners
on, and, as Norm says, I use a few pins to hold it in place until
the glue dries. It is easier to align them with the baseboard
when I do it this way. The brad nailer does not move the piece
like a nail gun does and it is easy to hold it exactly where you
want it and pin it in place. I use construction adhesive or
adhesive caulk as the glue.

Likewise with the vinyl bullnose. The only metal corner beads I still
use are the paper covered inside and outside corners when I want a
really sharp edge somewhere.