Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 - back hold down plates

In article ,
Nick Mueller wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

With a 3/8" shank carbide bit, I was able to make a cut ~0.100" deep
without chatter, although a heavy hand was needed.

So the 0.1" were radius? Then you really can be happy with that value on a
lathe of that size. Even for diameter, it is quite OK.

Yes, 0.100" radius (0.200" diameter reduction).

I may have found and fixed all the loose joints. Except for those in
the toolpost itself.

... and a long smoking hot chip came out.

Coolant. :-)

Brushed-on black sulfur oil. Very dramatic. Soluble oil isn't nearly
as dramatic.

Joe Gwinn