Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Propane vs. Nat. Gas

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 17:50:32 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Paul M. Eldridge" wrote:

I have a 100-amp main panel with 32 half height breakers, but no means
to add a sub panel (finished area).

A finished area doesn't mean you can't add a sub panel. Indeed if you
couldn't add a sub, how could you install new circuits to use up the
remaining space in the current panel? It's just a bit more work to fish
wires around, and a little less fun.

Well, I could add a sub panel but it would mean ripping out drywall
and re-framing, which is something I'd like to avoid if possible.
During the renovation phase, I pulled an extra 15-amp circuit to the
attic and this last slot is intended to feed this line should it ever
be required.

I'd like to add a second ductless
heat pump to serve the basement level and it seems my best option is
to terminate the range cable in the laundry room and install a pony
panel that will serve both loads; given the oven is 5,200-watts, there
should be enough capacity for them to happily co-exist.

Capacity is a function of the wire gauge, so you'd need to verify what
it's wired with. If it's a newer installation, the range feed should be
four wire which is what you'd need for a sub panel. If it's older three
wire then you can't repurpose it as a sub panel feed.

Good question. I believe the cable, which is now forty years old,
contains a black, red, white and ground, but I'd have to check this to
be sure. As to its gage, I can't imagine an issue, given that it was
installed at the time the house was built and presumably by a
qualified electrican and to code.

My point on the dual fuel was really that gas is preferable for surface
burners where the ability to adjust the heat with no lag time, and the
higher peak output are better, and the electric for the ovens where they
provide for generally better controls and often more even heat.

As you say, better temperature control is supposedly one key
advantage, although I can't honestly say I've noticed any difference.

It depends on the cooking you do as to how much you'd notice it, but I
certainly noticed that when I cook on electric I frequently have to
physically lift a pan off the burner when I turn it down since it will
take several seconds before the electric coil begins to cool vs. the
instant change in flame level with gas. Minor for small pans, but a real
pain for big heavy stuff, or when you are multitasking several burners
and can't spare the time to hold the pan in the air.

Sorry, I should have been more clear -- only with respect to the oven
portion and not the gas cook top.

Cheers,
Paul