Posted to alt.home.repair
clot clot is offline

Default European House Wire Colors

terry wrote:
On Feb 15, 7:23 am, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:
Red Green wrote:
A diagram for a Bosch sander I have shows a brown (braun) and a
blue (blau) wire from the cord. It shows which goes where to the
switch. The existing cord is a US cord with, of course, a black and
a white. I had to get a new switch and did not note which went
where on the old switch.

Checking the new swith input and output terminals I found which is
neutral (US the white wire) because this is always on regardless of
switch position. This has to be for the white wire since the golden
rule is white wire never gets interupted by a device.

So, from the diagram it seems that European (German anyway) that
brown is hot and blue is neutral. Anyone really confirm this?

I expect that if you post this in sci.electronics.repair, which has a
*lot* of European
posters, you'll get something more than the SWAGs you are getting
here.

I agree with your analysis that the blue in the Bosch tool plays the
role of a white
neutral wire in US/Canada practice.

---------------------------------------

No point mixing up 12 volt DC auto/truck wiring and 'mains' AC wiring
colours.

Am temporarily living in a 230 volt area of the world which, in
general, follows European practice. As general comparison this is what
I see in domestic wiring (but not necessarily in industrial and all 3
phase wiring). Note 1.

1) North American. 115/230 volt. AC 60 hertz.
Ground = Green or bare wire.
Leg A 115 volts = Black.*
Leg B 114 volts = Red.*
Neutral = White.
* Providing 230 volt single phase between them for 'heavier'
appliances such as clothes dryers, hot water heaters, cooking stoves
and electric heating.

2) Europe. Old standard. 230 volt AC 50 hertz.
Earth/Ground = Green etc.
Live 230 volt = Red.
Neutral = Black.

3) Europe Newer Standard; Domestically and for the wires attached to
plug in appliances such as a computer. 230 volt 50 hertz each, single
phase.
Earth/Ground = Green/Yellow-Green.
Live = Brown.
Neutral = Blue.

Note 1. In North American domestic practice we rarely see 3 phase
brought into a home. Some, incorrectly call the two 115 volt legs with
230 volts between them 'Phases'. But they are the two ends of a 230
volt single phase with the the centre point grounded and forming the
neutral.

Where I am presently living 3 phases at 230 volts each are brought
into the house, and the various loads in the main circuit breaker
panel (Consumer Unit) are distributed around them. Each appliance etc.
is wired in accordance with (3).
There is nothing in this domestic location connected between any two
phases.

Both the 115/230 volt and the entirely 230 volt systems seem to work
well. Although there are some very poor quality non UL (US Uderwriters
Lab.) and non CSA (Canadian Standards Assoc.) products around!

BTW. Trying to remember any time am wirng up one of those fused UK
style 3 prong plugs, as my own memory jogger that blue is the 'cooler'
colour and is therefore neutral. I guess white is a cool colour too?

So yes; based on what have seen and worked with agree with the above
posters definition of domestic wiring colours. Have fun.

Glad you use colour when talking about European practices! Absolutely
correct with items 2 and 3 above.

As a way to remember bLue is Live and bRown is Return. On UK plugs when
wiring with the cable coming in from the south or six o'clock position, the
bLue goes to the Left hand connector and the bRown goes to the Right hand
connection.

Many kids today (well my kids' generation in their twenties) setting up home
are stymied by green, red and black cables - second hand equipment from
parents, etc.