Posted to alt.home.repair

Default European House Wire Colors

A diagram for a Bosch sander I have shows a brown (braun) and a blue (blau)
wire from the cord. It shows which goes where to the switch. The existing
cord is a US cord with, of course, a black and a white. I had to get a new
switch and did not note which went where on the old switch.

Checking the new swith input and output terminals I found which is neutral
(US the white wire) because this is always on regardless of switch
position. This has to be for the white wire since the golden rule is white
wire never gets interupted by a device.

So, from the diagram it seems that European (German anyway) that brown is
hot and blue is neutral. Anyone really confirm this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
A diagram for a Bosch sander I have shows a brown (braun) and a blue (blau)
wire from the cord. It shows which goes where to the switch. The existing
cord is a US cord with, of course, a black and a white. I had to get a new
switch and did not note which went where on the old switch.

Checking the new swith input and output terminals I found which is neutral
(US the white wire) because this is always on regardless of switch
position. This has to be for the white wire since the golden rule is white
wire never gets interupted by a device.

So, from the diagram it seems that European (German anyway) that brown is
hot and blue is neutral. Anyone really confirm this?

Correct: Blue is neutral, Brown is hot

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Red Green" wrote in message

A diagram for a Bosch sander I have shows a brown (braun) and a blue (blau)
wire from the cord. It shows which goes where to the switch. The existing
cord is a US cord with, of course, a black and a white. I had to get a new
switch and did not note which went where on the old switch.

Checking the new swith input and output terminals I found which is neutral
(US the white wire) because this is always on regardless of switch
position. This has to be for the white wire since the golden rule is white
wire never gets interupted by a device.

So, from the diagram it seems that European (German anyway) that brown is
hot and blue is neutral. Anyone really confirm this?

Correct: Blue is neutral, Brown is hot

That makes no damn sense, as brown is ground on German cars.

Of course, we have plenty of white wires used as hot on American cars too...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Europe does not have a true neutral, it is actually a grounded leg of the
240 volt power line.

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"Red Green" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 14, 8:10*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
RBM wrote:
"Red Green" wrote in message

[...]

Agree with Nate, the German auto standard is brown for ground wires.
Don't know if the standard applies to the German commercial sector,
but wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
A diagram for a Bosch sander I have shows a brown (braun) and a blue (blau)
wire from the cord. It shows which goes where to the switch. The existing
cord is a US cord with, of course, a black and a white. I had to get a new
switch and did not note which went where on the old switch.

Checking the new swith input and output terminals I found which is neutral
(US the white wire) because this is always on regardless of switch
position. This has to be for the white wire since the golden rule is white
wire never gets interupted by a device.

So, from the diagram it seems that European (German anyway) that brown is
hot and blue is neutral. Anyone really confirm this?

I expect that if you post this in sci.electronics.repair, which has a
*lot* of European
posters, you'll get something more than the SWAGs you are getting here.

I agree with your analysis that the blue in the Bosch tool plays the
role of a white
neutral wire in US/Canada practice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Red Green" wrote in message

[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

You are talking two different things here, AC vs. DC. Black is ground
on US cars (DC), black is line voltage in the US (DC), there is no
correlation between the two. The OP and RBM are correct. Blue is the
neutral and brown is the line voltage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Red Green" wrote in message

[...]

neutral and brown is the line voltage.- Hide quoted text -

black is line voltage in the US (DC) -- Should have read black is
line voltage in the US (AC)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 7:23*am, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:
Red Green wrote:
[...]

---------------------------------------

No point mixing up 12 volt DC auto/truck wiring and 'mains' AC wiring
colours.

Am temporarily living in a 230 volt area of the world which, in
general, follows European practice. As general comparison this is what
I see in domestic wiring (but not necessarily in industrial and all 3
phase wiring). Note 1.

1) North American. 115/230 volt. AC 60 hertz.
Ground = Green or bare wire.
Leg A 115 volts = Black.*
Leg B 114 volts = Red.*
Neutral = White.
* Providing 230 volt single phase between them for 'heavier'
appliances such as clothes dryers, hot water heaters, cooking stoves
and electric heating.

2) Europe. Old standard. 230 volt AC 50 hertz.
Earth/Ground = Green etc.
Live 230 volt = Red.
Neutral = Black.

3) Europe Newer Standard; Domestically and for the wires attached to
plug in appliances such as a computer. 230 volt 50 hertz each, single
phase.
Earth/Ground = Green/Yellow-Green.
Live = Brown.
Neutral = Blue.

Note 1. In North American domestic practice we rarely see 3 phase
brought into a home. Some, incorrectly call the two 115 volt legs with
230 volts between them 'Phases'. But they are the two ends of a 230
volt single phase with the the centre point grounded and forming the
neutral.

Where I am presently living 3 phases at 230 volts each are brought
into the house, and the various loads in the main circuit breaker
panel (Consumer Unit) are distributed around them. Each appliance etc.
is wired in accordance with (3).
There is nothing in this domestic location connected between any two
phases.

Both the 115/230 volt and the entirely 230 volt systems seem to work
well. Although there are some very poor quality non UL (US Uderwriters
Lab.) and non CSA (Canadian Standards Assoc.) products around!

BTW. Trying to remember any time am wirng up one of those fused UK
style 3 prong plugs, as my own memory jogger that blue is the 'cooler'
colour and is therefore neutral. I guess white is a cool colour too?

So yes; based on what have seen and worked with agree with the above
posters definition of domestic wiring colours. Have fun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Red Green wrote:
[...]

Glad you use colour when talking about European practices! Absolutely
correct with items 2 and 3 above.

As a way to remember bLue is Live and bRown is Return. On UK plugs when
wiring with the cable coming in from the south or six o'clock position, the
bLue goes to the Left hand connector and the bRown goes to the Right hand
connection.

Many kids today (well my kids' generation in their twenties) setting up home
are stymied by green, red and black cables - second hand equipment from
parents, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"M Q" wrote in message

Clot wrote:

terry wrote:

On Feb 15, 7:23 am, jJim McLaughlin

3) Europe Newer Standard; Domestically and for the wires attached to
plug in appliances such as a computer. 230 volt 50 hertz each, single
phase.
Earth/Ground = Green/Yellow-Green.
Live = Brown.
Neutral = Blue.

As a way to remember bLue is Live and bRown is Return.

I don't get it.

That's because you're sensible, try thinking European!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clot wrote:

terry wrote:

On Feb 15, 7:23 am, jJim McLaughlin

3) Europe Newer Standard; Domestically and for the wires attached
to plug in appliances such as a computer. 230 volt 50 hertz each,
single phase.
Earth/Ground = Green/Yellow-Green.
Live = Brown.
Neutral = Blue.

As a way to remember bLue is Live and bRown is Return.

I don't get it.

That's because you're sensible, try thinking European!

I liked it!

I could also have said browN is Neutral.

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Clot wrote:

Clot wrote:

terry wrote:

On Feb 15, 7:23 am, jJim McLaughlin

3) Europe Newer Standard; Domestically and for the wires attached
to plug in appliances such as a computer. 230 volt 50 hertz each,
single phase.
Earth/Ground = Green/Yellow-Green.
Live = Brown.
Neutral = Blue.

As a way to remember bLue is Live and bRown is Return.

I don't get it.

That's because you're sensible, try thinking European!

I liked it!

I could also have said browN is Neutral.

And you would have been wrong again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

M Q wrote:
Clot wrote:

Clot wrote:

terry wrote:

On Feb 15, 7:23 am, jJim McLaughlin

3) Europe Newer Standard; Domestically and for the wires attached
to plug in appliances such as a computer. 230 volt 50 hertz
each, single phase.
Earth/Ground = Green/Yellow-Green.
Live = Brown.
Neutral = Blue.

As a way to remember bLue is Live and bRown is Return.

I don't get it.

That's because you're sensible, try thinking European!

I liked it!
I could also have said browN is Neutral.

And you would have been wrong again.

I am a clot and retract what I have said. I just hope that folk will return
to see my retraction. I'm very concerned about my mis information.Look at
this website to get the info you might need.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...cityrev2.shtml

Makes me reflect. When did I last rewire a plug - I can't recall. My wife
and I rewired our first house in the early 70's on Christmas Day and Boxing
Day.It was just one circuit for both lighting and power which had been
extended with kettle flex, etc. In those days we had black, green and red
cables. Still got several tens of yards (metres) if I need it.

The last time I can recall extending wiring was in '83 when moving into a
new build house and needed to wire the detached garage and minor additions
in the house. I could be wrong but I think the colours were still green,
black and red! We are still in the house and our kids of 20x years old are
alive and have not been shocked whilst living in the house!

Still can't recall when I last had to rewire a plug. But I thank you MQ for
being vigilant.

Clot

wire colors Patt Home Repair 9 February 27th 07 10:20 PM
pioneer KEH-M6500 speaker wire colors? JT Electronics Repair 2 September 14th 06 02:51 PM
QUESTION: Ceiling fixture wire colors Good Music Home Repair 3 August 2nd 06 03:13 AM
connecting ceiling fan to older house- 70 year old house. need help with wiring colors KOS Home Repair 8 July 18th 05 03:47 PM
Tuner Component Antenna Wire Colors <<> N Cook Electronics Repair 0 February 17th 05 11:23 AM