Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Propane vs. Nat. Gas

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:03:17 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

I redid all my panels a couple years ago and with a 40 space main panel,
using two spaces for a surge suppresser, two for a generator feed and
electric everything, I've still got 6 spaces free.

For your panel, you could cheaply and easily add a sub panel should you
need more spaces, and depending on why you needed those extra spaces a
sub panel may be more desirable anyway. I have a 125A 32 space sub panel
out in my shop.

Hi Pete,

I have a 100-amp main panel with 32 half height breakers, but no means
to add a sub panel (finished area). I'd like to add a second ductless
heat pump to serve the basement level and it seems my best option is
to terminate the range cable in the laundry room and install a pony
panel that will serve both loads; given the oven is 5,200-watts, there
should be enough capacity for them to happily co-exist.

My point on the dual fuel was really that gas is preferable for surface
burners where the ability to adjust the heat with no lag time, and the
higher peak output are better, and the electric for the ovens where they
provide for generally better controls and often more even heat.

As you say, better temperature control is supposedly one key
advantage, although I can't honestly say I've noticed any difference.

Cheers,
Paul