Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Propane vs. Nat. Gas

"Paul M. Eldridge" wrote:

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:11:33 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Actually, they each have their benefits. I have dual fuel, which is
really the best of both, with gas burners up top, and electric
convection main and electric side ovens below.

Hi Pete,

Initially, I wasn't too thrilled that my range was dual fuel, but it's
turned out to be the better choice afterall now that propane is more
expensive than electricity (at least locally) and because no
combustion by-products are released into the room. The one drawback
for me is that the forty amp breaker steals space in main panel that
could be used for other purposes; at this point, I have one slot
remaining.

Cheers,
Paul

I redid all my panels a couple years ago and with a 40 space main panel,
using two spaces for a surge suppresser, two for a generator feed and
electric everything, I've still got 6 spaces free.

For your panel, you could cheaply and easily add a sub panel should you
need more spaces, and depending on why you needed those extra spaces a
sub panel may be more desirable anyway. I have a 125A 32 space sub panel
out in my shop.

My point on the dual fuel was really that gas is preferable for surface
burners where the ability to adjust the heat with no lag time, and the
higher peak output are better, and the electric for the ovens where they
provide for generally better controls and often more even heat.