Posted to sci.electronics.repair
zorgdroid zorgdroid is offline

Default Opening a LG 700E "Studioworks" computer monitor - how?

Hello, I have a problem with my LG 700E "Studioworks" monitor. Could
someone tell me how-to open it up. It has a plastic faceplate with
buttons at the front of the monitor (the portion that faces me when 'm
sitting in front of the monitor). It also has a big plastic body (rear
part). There is a small metal base, with a swivel.

I turned it over on it's top. It has a metal baseplate into which the
swivel fits. I removed that and looked around for screws. All i
noticed were two horizontal grooves running into the faceplate of the
monitor BUT they had no screws. I also noticed two tiny plastic lever
like things holding the faceplate onto the rest of the body. I bet
that if i depressed the levers and tugged on the face plate, it would
slip off and I'd have access to the front-part (viewing area) of the
CRT.

Is this the way to proceed? What should i do next, to get the plastic
rear off.

I know how dangerous it is and i propose to wear a full sleeve cotton
shirt, with a full sleeve jacket on top of that, and then wear
surgical rubber gloves. I will also insulate part of my screw-driver
(part of the metal rod near the handle) and wear shoes. I just want to
look at all the parts and identify what's what. I don't propose to fix
ANYTHING.

I had posted to this NG earlier explaining my problem, but i guess
it's much too vague, and it didn't receive a reply. Anyway, i have
repeated it below for completeness

----------------------
Hello, my LG 700E computer monitor has developed a intermittent
problem of sorts. The brightness and contrast are at 0, but my desktop
and browser are visible through a even and bright white haze that
covers the whole screen. Sometimes there is no haze and it works
normally and sometimes there is a flickr of lines, horizontal dark
lines on my screen that move apart [in the vertical direction] and
converge [and diverge] creating a flickr.

I thought it might be a problem with the power, so i used a analog
multimeter to check, and the voltage was normal. It's also connected
through my UPS so i should not be seeing voltage fluctuation.

Could someone suggest possible problems and if it is serious or minor?
Repair guys take you for a ride where i live, so i wanted a hint as to
possible problems and what might be damaged.

There's a lot of exposure to dust.