Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Full time turning

I have one friend who turns full time for a living. He and his wife
have no kids. They both work. He does shows, and does comercial
projects. He earns a living and his wife has benefits. I turn full
time, but not as a job, even though it is my only work. I have other
income. I do take in about $28,000 a year from my woodworking
business. If I were really intent on doing it as a full income job, it
would be possible, but too much work to be as much fun as it is now. I
would have to do more demos which would mean more travel, and time
away from home. I would have to have several DVD's out to sell (my one
and only thus far cost me about $10,000 for production and first 1,000
copies. I have made about $300 back thus far). I would probably have
to move to a bigger population area for being able to do more demos. I
would have to do more shows (at least 1 per month, and probably 20 per
year). More travel expences. I am having too much fun to do all of
that, but it does pay for my habit, and some of the bills.
robo hippy
On Feb 15, 10:44*am, JD wrote:
On Feb 15, 5:39 am, Leetollett wrote:

Hey Guys

* * * * Im curious! *how many of you turn for a living??

Thanks for all the great advice....... * Have a good day

Lee Tollett

Not me either. Like Robert, I use this as a release from the ordeal of
finishing a Ph.D. I've sold some of my stuff and I've gone to
christmas bazaars and the like, but it was so I could purchase some
nice tools without getting in trouble with my wife.

I enjoy it too much to make it a job.

JD