Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jusme[_2_] jusme[_2_] is offline

Default Gear/steering pumps

Wayne,
I forgot to say that it needs to be self-priming.

I may have made an ASSumption ass of myself as I have a pump that meets my
requirements perfectly and I *assumed* that it is a gear-pump. I need to
break it down to find out. I bought it used, online.

j/b

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:18:16 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Wayne,

This has to be small and portable and temporarily fit in the bed of a
pickup.

Also, I didn't know that about p.s. pumps being vane pumps. I have a
defective one and I will take it apart.

So, what do I look for for junked or surplus gear pumps?

For your application a bronze gear pump is what you really need (It
will put up with running dry better than the steel hydraulic pumps).
But surplus is hard to find. My first one was one I found in a scrap
pile. One of the gears was split but I pinned it and run it straight
from a 2HP electric motor. Once I got it primed (I had a funnel on top
of a valve to prime it) it would pump great. However it took way to
much electricity to run in the field (I've got 20 amp outlets in the
shop so it would run here). It was also very noisy from the speed and
broken gear. I next scrounged a smaller one already belt driven with a
smaller motor which worked well but was messy dealing with the hoses.
I tried the air pressure thing but modern 55 gallon barrels are to
thin for it to be effective. By then I had scrounged up enough stuff
to make my trailer so for a relatively small investment I managed to
make a rig that I can cost effectively get a real amount of oil with.

Page 318 on McMasters web site is the type pump you need.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Good luck scrounging one. It's possible but they're rare.