Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gear/steering pumps

I want to build up several gear pumps for pumping oil. I figure that
getting steering pumps from an auto junk yard will be the cheapest route.

I wonder what vehicle may have the highest flow pump. Should I just
consider that the larger the vehicle, the faster the flow rate?

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jusme" fired this volley in news:1ks2jg.mn2.19.1
@news.alt.net:

I wonder what vehicle may have the highest flow pump. Should I just
consider that the larger the vehicle, the faster the flow rate?

Actually, translate that just a bit from "largest" to "heaviest".

Heavy vehicles normally require large steering forces for the large (lots
of contact area) tires they have to twist to and fro.

But you might be surprised at the 3600rpm output of a simple passenger
car pump.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jusme" wrote:

I want to build up several gear pumps for pumping oil. I figure that
getting steering pumps from an auto junk yard will be the cheapest route.

Volume and pressure you expect pump at would be a fairly useful set of
parameters to specify. Likely even vital.

WEs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 13, 10:31 am, "jusme" wrote:
I want to build up several gear pumps for pumping oil. I figure that
getting steering pumps from an auto junk yard will be the cheapest route.

I wonder what vehicle may have the highest flow pump. Should I just
consider that the larger the vehicle, the faster the flow rate?

Thanks

j/b

Get one from an older Chevy/GMC V8 Diesel. The pump has to run
everything, including the power brakes. There is no vacuum on the
Diesel.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You say "pumping oil", as opposed to "putting oil under pressure".
It would make a big difference it you comment on the pressure you
NEED and the flow in gpm that you want. Also, is the oil clean or not?
I don't think power steering pumps like dirty oil. Are you "building
up" several separate systems or do you want several pumps just to get to
some particular volume?
IIRC, many power steering pumps only deliver somewhere in the range
of 2-4 gpm, but at 1000 psi or more.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

jusme wrote:
I want to build up several gear pumps for pumping oil. I figure that
getting steering pumps from an auto junk yard will be the cheapest route.

I wonder what vehicle may have the highest flow pump. Should I just
consider that the larger the vehicle, the faster the flow rate?

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, guys, I just want to empty 55 gallon barrels of oil as soon as
possible cheaply.

I want to build up 2 to 4 of these things.
Oil will be dirty. Actually, it is wvo.

Thanks

j/b

.. .

jusme wrote:
I want to build up several gear pumps for pumping oil. I figure that
getting steering pumps from an auto junk yard will be the cheapest route.

I wonder what vehicle may have the highest flow pump. Should I just
consider that the larger the vehicle, the faster the flow rate?

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:52:17 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"jusme" quickly quoth:

Well, guys, I just want to empty 55 gallon barrels of oil as soon as
possible cheaply.

I want to build up 2 to 4 of these things.
Oil will be dirty. Actually, it is wvo.

If they're dual-capped barrels, perhaps you could pressurize the small
hole with air and pipe the large outlet for a quick and dirty emptying
for a lot less cost than pumps. Heat 'em for quicker emptying yet.
Storage in a black-painted (solar heated) building would get you the
heat free.

Here's another way, but it ain't cheap:
http://www.oiltransfer.com/files/200..._Farm_Show.pdf

--

SALMON -- The Other Pink Meat
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

If they're dual-capped barrels, perhaps you could pressurize the small
hole with air and pipe the large outlet for a quick and dirty emptying
for a lot less cost than pumps.

Good, but be sure to use a regulator and keep the pressure reasonable so
you don't ruin the drums. Might even work with an open end barrel if you
have a good sealing clamp-on top.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RLM RLM is offline

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:52:17 -0600, jusme wrote:

Well, guys, I just want to empty 55 gallon barrels of oil as soon as
possible cheaply.

I want to build up 2 to 4 of these things.
Oil will be dirty. Actually, it is wvo.

Thanks

j/b

.. .

jusme wrote:
I want to build up several gear pumps for pumping oil. I figure that
getting steering pumps from an auto junk yard will be the cheapest route.

I wonder what vehicle may have the highest flow pump. Should I just
consider that the larger the vehicle, the faster the flow rate?

Thanks

j/b

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...pump&Submit=Go

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavalamb himself wrote:
jusme wrote:

Got one, Rlm....won't work.....oil too viscous.

j/b

Seems like you are seriously screwed!

Get thee a barrel heater. Looks like a steel belt to wrap around the
drum. 110v plug in.

Warm oil flows better.

Once the oil is warm, the pumps available cheap, should deal with it
quite well.

'Course, you could resort to the tried, true, low tech method that has
worked through the ages. Put the drum on a dolly, lay it sideways, and
dispense the oil into buckets.

Cheers
Trevor aJones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jusme wrote:
Got one, Rlm....won't work.....oil too viscous.

j/b

Seems like you are seriously screwed!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco fired this volley in
:

You say "pumping oil", as opposed to "putting oil under pressure".
It would make a big difference it you comment on the pressure you
NEED and the flow in gpm that you want. Also, is the oil clean or
not?
I don't think power steering pumps like dirty oil. Are you
"building

No gear pump likes dirty oil, but if this is a zero-pressure use, then
gear or rotor wear won't significantly affect the volume the pump can
move.

High pressure-Low bypass pump performance is predicated on precision
fits, which will go away quickly in the presence of dirt. But low bypass
is not necessary except at pressure. You could still move a lot of oil
with several thousanths of excess clearance in the elements.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:29:41 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"jusme" quickly quoth:

Not so, Larry.....open.

Can't use vacuum either.

Aw, ****. Just puncture the bottom and let 'em drain. Use the money
for REAL drums next time.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:29:41 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"jusme" quickly quoth:

Not so, Larry.....open.

Can't use vacuum either.

Why not save time and money? Make or buy an inexpensive drum tilt truck,
and just _drain_ them through the top?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 01:39:59 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

If they're dual-capped barrels, perhaps you could pressurize the small
hole with air and pipe the large outlet for a quick and dirty emptying
for a lot less cost than pumps.

Good, but be sure to use a regulator and keep the pressure reasonable so
you don't ruin the drums. Might even work with an open end barrel if you
have a good sealing clamp-on top.

Figure 3 psi max. Makes for really slow pumping of thick oils
(BTDT).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:29:41 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Not so, Larry.....open.

Can't use vacuum either.

Why not?

I can tell you from experience that a good vacuum rig is the way to
go. I don't do WVO but I do use waste engine oil to heat my shop. I
tried several different type's of pumps then I finally made me a
vacuum trailer. Night and day difference. I can pump 200 gallons of
waste oil out of any container I want to in less than 20 minutes with
a old wore out engine.

BTW everybody keeps talking about power steering pumps being gear
pumps. They're not. Instead they're vane pumps and they don't take
kindly to dirt or any type of contamination. A actual gear pump is
much more tolerant of contamination than a vane pump.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

In that case, a PS pump might not work either. ATF/ PS fluid is light
oil, much lighter than cold vegetable oil.
For that matter, they are vane pumps, not gear pumps. Maybe you need a
belt-driven engine oil pump?

Someone suggested a 110V drum heater. I bet that would be at odds with
the "quick" part of the specification.

"RLM" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:52:17 -0600, jusme wrote:

Well, guys, I just want to empty 55 gallon barrels of oil as soon as
possible cheaply.

I want to build up 2 to 4 of these things.
Oil will be dirty. Actually, it is wvo.

Thanks

j/b

.. .

jusme wrote:
I want to build up several gear pumps for pumping oil. I figure that
getting steering pumps from an auto junk yard will be the cheapest
route.

I wonder what vehicle may have the highest flow pump. Should I just
consider that the larger the vehicle, the faster the flow rate?

Thanks

j/b

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...pump&Submit=Go

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:18:16 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Wayne,

This has to be small and portable and temporarily fit in the bed of a
pickup.

Also, I didn't know that about p.s. pumps being vane pumps. I have a
defective one and I will take it apart.

So, what do I look for for junked or surplus gear pumps?

For your application a bronze gear pump is what you really need (It
will put up with running dry better than the steel hydraulic pumps).
But surplus is hard to find. My first one was one I found in a scrap
pile. One of the gears was split but I pinned it and run it straight
from a 2HP electric motor. Once I got it primed (I had a funnel on top
of a valve to prime it) it would pump great. However it took way to
much electricity to run in the field (I've got 20 amp outlets in the
shop so it would run here). It was also very noisy from the speed and
broken gear. I next scrounged a smaller one already belt driven with a
smaller motor which worked well but was messy dealing with the hoses.
I tried the air pressure thing but modern 55 gallon barrels are to
thin for it to be effective. By then I had scrounged up enough stuff
to make my trailer so for a relatively small investment I managed to
make a rig that I can cost effectively get a real amount of oil with.

Page 318 on McMasters web site is the type pump you need.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Good luck scrounging one. It's possible but they're rare.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

jusme wrote:
Rex, wouldn't an engine oil pump be too slow?

Yes, but see my later post about the stackable pumps used in racing
engines. I think one that is no longer suitable for a racing application
could be had cheap or free from a race shop. If you need more volume,
you just stack another housing and rotor. Runs off a small cogged/gilmer
belt.
Now that I think about it, you might want the scavenge side of that
pump. They may be made a little differently so as to provide suck
instead of blow. Or not. Maybe one of the race engine guys can answer that.

"RLM" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:52:17 -0600, jusme wrote:

Well, guys, I just want to empty 55 gallon barrels of oil as soon as
possible cheaply.

I want to build up 2 to 4 of these things.
Oil will be dirty. Actually, it is wvo.

Thanks

j/b

.. .

jusme wrote:
I want to build up several gear pumps for pumping oil. I figure that
getting steering pumps from an auto junk yard will be the cheapest
route.

I wonder what vehicle may have the highest flow pump. Should I just
consider that the larger the vehicle, the faster the flow rate?

Thanks

j/b

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...pump&Submit=Go

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

used ones off of craigslist ?

jusme wrote:
Looks like a good pump, Roy, but too expensive for 3 or more of these
things.

My criteria is hurting me or, rather, my pocketbook.

j/b

"RoyJ" wrote in message
A decent hydraulic pump seems to be the way to go. As others mentioned,
none of these pumps like dirt so slow and old works fine. Here is a 9 gpm
pump for under $80
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-4289

jusme wrote:
Well, guys, I just want to empty 55 gallon barrels of oil as soon as
possible cheaply.

I want to build up 2 to 4 of these things.
Oil will be dirty. Actually, it is wvo.

Thanks

j/b

.. .

jusme wrote:
I want to build up several gear pumps for pumping oil. I figure that
getting steering pumps from an auto junk yard will be the cheapest
route.

I wonder what vehicle may have the highest flow pump. Should I just
consider that the larger the vehicle, the faster the flow rate?

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 14, 1:27*pm, "jusme" wrote:
Looks like a good pump, Roy, but too expensive for 3 or more of these
things.

My criteria is hurting me or, rather, my pocketbook.

j/b

How about a cheap plastic drill-powered water pump?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne,
I forgot to say that it needs to be self-priming.

I may have made an ASSumption ass of myself as I have a pump that meets my
requirements perfectly and I *assumed* that it is a gear-pump. I need to
break it down to find out. I bought it used, online.

j/b

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:37:23 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Wayne,
I forgot to say that it needs to be self-priming.

I may have made an ASSumption ass of myself as I have a pump that meets my
requirements perfectly and I *assumed* that it is a gear-pump. I need to
break it down to find out. I bought it used, online.

Gear pumps can be self priming to a certain extent when new but
generally should be at least wet with oil at the start. But when they
have some wear they will have to be primed. I can think of only a few
true self priming pumps capable of priming such a thick liquid.
However most are not really suitable to your use. One that does come
to mind as a possibility is a air powered diaphragm pump. I believe
you can get them in other than air powered as well. Try starting at
page 314 on McMasters web site.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rex,

I may be lucky enough to find one but never in any small quantity. Thanks
for the idea.

j/b

"RLM" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:52:17 -0600, jusme wrote:

Well, guys, I just want to empty 55 gallon barrels of oil as soon as
possible cheaply.

I want to build up 2 to 4 of these things.
Oil will be dirty. Actually, it is wvo.

Thanks

j/b

.. .

jusme wrote:
I want to build up several gear pumps for pumping oil. I figure
that
getting steering pumps from an auto junk yard will be the cheapest
route.

I wonder what vehicle may have the highest flow pump. Should I
just
consider that the larger the vehicle, the faster the flow rate?

Thanks

j/b

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...pump&Submit=Go

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roy,

I have been trying craigslist. I am tenacious and will come across one or
so -hopefully.

j/b

"RoyJ" wrote in message
used ones off of craigslist ?

jusme wrote:
Well, guys, I just want to empty 55 gallon barrels of oil as soon as
possible cheaply.

I want to build up 2 to 4 of these things.
Oil will be dirty. Actually, it is wvo.

Thanks

j/b

.. .

jusme wrote:
I want to build up several gear pumps for pumping oil. I figure that
getting steering pumps from an auto junk yard will be the cheapest
route.

I wonder what vehicle may have the highest flow pump. Should I just
consider that the larger the vehicle, the faster the flow rate?

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:04:45 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Air-powered kills it for me, Wayne.

j/b

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

How about a hand powered bilge pump? For about $50 you should be able
to get one that can do 8-12gal/minute.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:04:45 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Air-powered kills it for me, Wayne.

Which is why I said look at the page. They have a hand operated as
well as motor operated units.

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:53:55 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

If you will pump it all day for me, Jim.

j/b

At roughly 5 minutes per barrel hand pumping shouldn't be a problem
unless you have a large quantity of drums to empty. In which case you
might want to consider renting a powered "mud pump" for a day or two.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne,

I am trying to 'cheap out' on this and, importantly, this is an on-going
thing, not just a temporary requirement.

j/b

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:04:45 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Air-powered kills it for me, Wayne.

Which is why I said look at the page. They have a hand operated as
well as motor operated units.

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jusme" wrote in message
Roy,

I have been trying craigslist. I am tenacious
and will come across one or so -hopefully.

Ok--so you want to pump junk oil out of an open
topped barrel. You want to do it with
a unit that's portable, and doesn't cost much.
What about an oil pump? Any
large engine rebuilders close? Get a junk oil
pump from a truck engine, Craft
a metal mount/coupling/hose connections to
whatever power source you have.
The pumps are made to pump---dirty oil.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 05:13:18 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"BillM" quickly quoth:

"jusme" wrote in message
Roy,

I have been trying craigslist. I am tenacious
and will come across one or so -hopefully.

Ok--so you want to pump junk oil out of an open
topped barrel. You want to do it with
a unit that's portable, and doesn't cost much.
What about an oil pump? Any
large engine rebuilders close? Get a junk oil
pump from a truck engine, Craft
a metal mount/coupling/hose connections to
whatever power source you have.
The pumps are made to pump---dirty oil.

Good call. Performance oil pump from a race car or truck engine.

And if the drums are all the same size, build in a mount which hangs
the pump down to the bottom of the tank and extend it with a long
shaft (or pipe welded to a sectioned shaft.) Mount a salvage DC motor
on top to drive it and run a hose from the pump to wherever. Drop it
into a drum, drop the hose in the receiving tank, hook the motor up to
the truck (or spare) battery, switch it on (no sparks around the
hydrogen from the battery, please) and relax while it works.

--
Simplicity doesn't mean to live in misery and poverty. You have what you
need and you don't want what you don't need. --Charan Singh (1916-1990)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 21:02:58 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Wayne,

I am trying to 'cheap out' on this and, importantly, this is an on-going
thing, not just a temporary requirement.

I just posted the catalog pages so you can see what's out there and
figure out what kind of pump you want. Finding a cheap source for them
is up to you.

Gear/Power steering pump. jusme[_2_] Metalworking 9 December 18th 07 05:44 AM
Steering Shaft oldjag Metalworking 0 August 27th 07 01:31 AM
STEERING WHEEL J T Woodworking 0 April 23rd 07 06:37 AM
Power Steering Phil Kyle UK diy 0 October 17th 06 03:56 PM
Gear hobber gear train set-up Mark Maglana Metalworking 7 August 26th 05 03:01 AM